Which version to start with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which version to start with?

So FINALLY, I'm ready to install upgrade from calaog 5 to business 7 (purchased the software some 14 months ago, so I guess its about time to make use of it

Have searched and searched through the existing threads, but can't find a definitive answer to which upgrade version I should start with.

My disk is 7.0.1.0.0.0.EGSA.

I intend to start with all new templates, and program files, but will wish to import all my existing sections and goods from catalog 5 to the new build.
    I would prefer not to import all the old order details, as part of my rebuild will include changing the way we process orders:
    - splitting order processing off onto a seperate machine
    - changing tax from simple to complex
    - changing some of the shipping methods.

I'm guessing that all or any of these could corrupt old orders, so the plan is to leave them on a back up machine running cat 5, until I no longer need access to them. All orders to be fully completed executed prior to a live switchover to the B7 machine - the c5 machine will be for archive reference only once live with B7.

So question1 is, is it best to start with a later version of B7 than the 7.0.01 on my disk, and can this be safely downloaded and installed (from the actinic 'versions' site) using my 7.0.1 key to install? I would assume that this is better than patching, and if so, which version to pick?

Question 2 - how do I safely export and then import in my products and sections (without the old customers and orders)? Can i do this direct from c5 export to B7 import, or do I have to first upgrade C5 to B7 before attempting to export?
    Will be keeping the old site live on one machine and developing on a seperate machine as I'm the ultra cautious type!

Question 3 - can I upload my B7 test to a different server, whilst keeping within my use terms? There will only ever be one live site, but I would like to use this upgrade opportunity, not only to test out a long list of items I have, but also to test out an alternative dedicated server from a different provider, with the view to taking my site live there if all goes well.

Apologies upfront for the multiple questions - any help, advice, and 'hole picking' in my statedgy - welcome.

Martin

Hi Martin,

You can install v7 alongside v5 on the same machine without confilct if needed.

As to which verision to go with depends on what features you need that have been resolved in the upgrade - I am sitting at 7.0.4 as for me this is very stable and there were lots of threads about 7.0.5 and shipping issues - these may or may not be relevent to you. Quite a few issues were resolved in the patches so definately worth moving up from 7.0.1.

I would be inclined to import a snapshot rather than going down the import function (something always seems to go awry with an import)... you do have the option not to import customer accounts /details if you really don't require them on v7. Actinic will upgrade the old site to fit in with v7 relatively painlessly in my experience. You can then strip out any stuff you dont require to start off on the new site. A snapshot will import all the terms and conditions etc into the new software.

The test server needs to be at the same URL as the finished site. You can set the v7 to run in a sub site of the existing v5 if you are using the same site URL for the new software - that will keep the v5 site and orders live until you are ready to switch to v7 proper.

May be worth waiting to hear advice from others - no doubt everyone will have a prefered method which suits their own needs and circumstances.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Driving to work realised when you first install v7 you may/should get the option to upgrade an existing site .... I did from v6 to v7 but unsure about v5 to v7

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Hi Martin,

You can install v7.0.1 first,use the key to activate the software,then you can download the patch for v7.0.6 from our website www.actinic.co.uk . The site upgrader will automatically upgrade the software. Create a snapshot with Catalog v5 and import it into v7(Business), while importing uncheck the option "Overwrite All Orders on Target Installation " which will prevent old orders from being imported . I'm afraid that we cannot stop customer accounts being imported. You can upload the site on a different server for testing or you can register for an Actinic trial space at http://trials.actinic.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
          I just wondered if there was any difference upgrading from 5 to 7.01 then patching to say 7.05, and downloading 7.05 from the download site, and using that as the FIRST upgrade, direct from 5.

Martin

Comment

I'm sure you don't want my opinion ComicMan but yer gettin it anyway. I think I'd go for the `full` 7.05 version and import into that. You'll probably want to update (to 7.05 or .06) later anyway though so...

Good luck with the update anyway mate ;-)
            Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Working...
            X