Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, Using up all the resources

Hi

I have noticed recently that my website (www.surbitonart.co.uk) band width usage has gone through the roof. When I look at the Stats report, I can see some IP address with the name ANS (UK) Ltd visiting my website every hour and open up 40-50 sessions and stays on for 20-30 minutes each session. I can't find any more details than about company details

ANS (UK) LIMITED
    EAGLE HOUSE
    GREAT WHYTE, RAMSEY
    HUNTINGDON
    CAMBRIDGESHIRE
    PE26 1HB

At this address there seem to be few more companies are registered.

I am worried that there may be some fraudulent activity may be taking place such as trying to hack into the card details. Can someone please advice any quick solution to this problem

I appreciate your help

Do a search for 'htaccess ban IP' on your favourite search engine and you will find a lot of detail available to help you do this.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
      Do a search for 'htaccess ban IP' on your favourite search engine and you will find a lot of detail available to help you do this.
      Thank you once again
      I have created a file as such, Hope this will work, I will let you know the outcome

Regards

Phillip

Comment

Hi

Thanks once again

I have created .htaccess file and deny command to this IP address from 195.93.21.0 and posted to my wwwroot folder. but he/she still there

My Command is as follows
        <limit GET>
        order allow,Deny
        Deny from 195.93.21.0
        allow from all
        </Limit>

Anything wrong with this. I have very little understanding of any coding. I am just learning as I go. Any help appreciated

REgards

Phillip
        www.surbitonart.co.uk

Comment

These .htaccess files are designed to be used with Apache - you are using IIS6 so you'll need to use different tecniques; not being a Windows server fan can't help with specifics. Any IIS guys on the board know how to do this?
          Chris
          -----
          http://www.livingaidsonline.co.uk

Comment

I just checked the IP number you gave in your post - that's an AOL IP. It may be an AOL spider - collecting links to index your pages on AOL.

Clefty is correct that htaccess will not work on IIS - that is rather an important snippet of information to leave out of the original post.
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
              I just checked the IP number you gave in your post - that's an AOL IP. It may be an AOL spider - collecting links to index your pages on AOL.

Clefty is correct that htaccess will not work on IIS - that is rather an important snippet of information to leave out of the original post.
              I have just spoke to the accountant at the registered address of the ANS (UK) ltd.They say it's longer exist, and correctly refused to give any more details. If it's AOL, I doubt that AOL using defunt company name. Anyone know, If I can approach AOL, if so how.

Regards
              Phillip

Comment

Bill's correct - it is an AOL address but appears to be one of their UK proxy servers, rather than the IP address of an actual user. Unless you can find the IP behind this, you're out of luck - also AOL users are given dynamic IP addresses that change WITHIN a browsing session, so tracking abusers is more difficult.

I wouldn't suggest blocking an AOL proxy server (even if this is possible on IIS) as you're likely to block legitimate AOL users.

If the abuse is persistent, I would suggest e-mailing a copy of your server logs to AOL for investigation.
                Chris
                -----
                http://www.livingaidsonline.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by clefty
                  Bill's correct - it is an AOL address but appears to be one of their UK proxy servers, rather than the IP address of an actual user. Unless you can find the IP behind this, you're out of luck - also AOL users are given dynamic IP addresses that change WITHIN a browsing session, so tracking abusers is more difficult.

I wouldn't suggest blocking an AOL proxy server (even if this is possible on IIS) as you're likely to block legitimate AOL users.

If the abuse is persistent, I would suggest e-mailing a copy of your server logs to AOL for investigation.

Thank you all. I will contact the AOL. if they can help

Regards

Comment

Working...
                  X