acd in Winzip??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acd in Winzip??

I thought that the snapshot acd file was a zip file that could be opened in Winzip.
    I have just checked a number of snapshots (renamed the extension to .zip) and none will open with Winzip 9.0 SR-1. I belive the snapshots are ok because I transfer from one PC to another occasionally without problem.

The error that winzip shows is:
    Start of central directory not found - zip file corrupt.

Any ideas why?

Duncan R

I can always open the ACD to view the contents (associating ACD files with the ZIP tool) but can never extract a single (or all) file.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I found this out only the other day. It made me realise the value of having a copy of the Site 1 folder available in a safe place.

You really do need the ability to copy an individual file at the drop of a hat.

Comment

Maybe it's the winzip version I have then. I'll try downloading another competitive free version and give that a go.

I always create a zip of my site directory (and include the acd file inside it - which come to think of it probably isn't so smart if the zip gets corrupted)

Comment

Duncan,

I'm on winzip 10 and have also found the acd cannot be opened by winzip even after renaming. Looks as though Actinic may have changed their headers, or winzip is trying to stop people using the free alternative to do the zipping up - just checked and there is an update for winzip - I'll download it and try an acd again.
          Bill
          www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
          Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
          BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
          Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
          VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
          Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I use the elderly WinZip 7.0 (SR1) - from way back in 1998 according to it's copyright - and it has no trouble viewing or extracting files in acd's.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

PS while we're talking about the Snapshot file. Does anyone know where the Housekeeping / Security info needed to set the Registry is stored in the Zipfile?
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I'm going to have to go find an older version too. The new Winzip 10.0 build 6595 also will not open an acd.

Norman - I don't think you will have overlooked the obvious, but is there a .reg file in the snapshot?
                Bill

Comment

I downloaded filzip which works fine after showing a message of an error in the zip structure. I also tried Easyzip which works fine after renaming to zip. So much for the new winzip versions.

Comment

I downloaded winzip 7 - opens the acd without a problem - no need to rename, even.

Reading on the winzip website implies they changed things around at v9, though there is nothing explicit.

@Norman - no reg, and no sign of any security info - you have me intreagued - I will keep looking.
                    Bill

Comment

I've just uninstalled my purchased Winzip 9 and installed the old faithful version 7 evaluation copy. Works a treat.

I also don't see any security or reg file in the archive. I think it's only created when you import a site and gets put into the overwritten.zip file.

Comment

For the record 7zip (open source) will extract an acd.

i've got v4.40 beta, it extracts and allows you to manipulate resultant files

Comment

Working...
                        X