Changing computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing computers

I have been putting it of for about a year now but the laptop my wife runs her business off is getting slower and slower and her complaints to me are getting more frequent! (As her free IT department)

So I have decide to swap the site to a desktop I have can someone advise me on the least painful way to achieve this, I assume I reload my V6 on the desktop and put in the product key and import a snapshot.

Any advice would be appreciated as I don't want to do my usual its ok I can do it I don't need any advice and then try for the next fortnight trying to get it back up and running.
    I have no signature

Thomas,

The only things I can see that you missed are;

Patch up to the same version that you are currently running - this will avoid errors with different script versions on the PC and website.

Save a copy of the security information (get a copy from Housekeeping | Security) on the current installation. (It should be in the snapshot, but better safe than sorry)

As an alternative to importing the snapshot, you could just copy the whole laptop site1 folder and contents over the top of the new PC site1 folder.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

So far so good

Bill

So far so good most if it appears to be as it was on the laptop can you tell me if there is a good way to bring the images with the site1 folder.

For example the software is now looking for pictures on the laptop and not the desktop.

Also when I test the site I get the following:

An attempt was made to access an order past its end.

Then I get

The heavily encrypted data from the order blob appears to be corrupt, however the magority of the order was recieved.

Then the order shows that credit card details sent seprately.

Any thoughts
      I have no signature

Comment

if you mirror the pathname of the images from the laptop to be the same on the PC you will then place the images in the same named folder

the other 2 errors will be cured by going to the laptop , housekeeping ,security, and copy the 4 sets of keys from the laptop to the pc

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you both for your help you have made a task which I thought would take days painless!!

Much appreciated
          I have no signature

Comment

Preparation pays off....

Comment

Working...
            X