Actinic not passing address details to Paypal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actinic not passing address details to Paypal

hi, i've checked the forum and can't find a recent post that covers this problem.

We have just setup paypal as a payment option, everything was easy to setup and seemed to be running fine, however we have just noticed that when we click on the history tab of a paypal customer in the Postal Address field we always show: No Address Provided.

Is this likely to be because we have set up paypal incorrectly or something else? we are using v7 of actinic.

We have emailed paypal to see if they know what the problem is.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

our url is http://www.gbdriver.co.uk

AFAIK Actinic doesn't pass any address details to Paypal anyway.
    There is no matching of order details to Paypal details at all, any information regarding the customer is obtained solely from the Actinic cart and, AFAIK, not verified etc by Paypal.
    Does that make sense?
    Tracey

Comment

thanks for taking the time to reply.

I could be missing something here, but surely this means a potential paypal customer could type any address into actinic they like and we would have no way of knowing this isn't the address that paypal hold as their registered address.

i.e. a confirmed paypal customer could enter a completely different delivery address than their confirmed address, and then claim they have never received goods.

What initially raised our suspicions was within hours of setting up, we received a high value (for us!) order of £250. From a paypal customer that had only just setup a paypal account, we couldn't understand why someone would choose to pay by paypal and then set up an account, instead of simply using our psp.

I must admit the more i read about paypal the more it doesn't look like the great idea i thought it was when adding it as a payment option!

Comment

Originally posted by rob880
        thanks for taking the time to reply.

I could be missing something here, but surely this means a potential paypal customer could type any address into actinic they like and we would have no way of knowing this isn't the address that paypal hold as their registered address.

i.e. a confirmed paypal customer could enter a completely different delivery address than their confirmed address, and then claim they have never received goods.
        Absolutely correct. Which is one of the major pitfalls of using Paypal as a payment option.

I must admit the more i read about paypal the more it doesn't look like the great idea i thought it was when adding it as a payment option!
        It does carry certain risks, as I'm sure other forum memebers will confirm.
        I accept it, and get fairly regular business through it but you do have to weigh up the pros and cons fairly carefully.
        Tracey

Comment

I have just come across this problem for myself and can't understand how paypal expect people to use this method.

I was asked to set this up a couple of weeks ago and have just received the first order before realising the issue.

With the credit card system we use e know that the address we ship to is the cards registered address - but now we could be shipping anywhere!!

I was told to set up this system because it is more secure for us and the customer - not just the customer.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly
            I was told to set up this system because it is more secure for us and the customer - not just the customer.
            This is only true if the purchaser pays with a verified Paypal account.

I purchase quite often using my Paypal account, in preference to having some unknown company downloading my cc details for offline processing. No offence to those who do offline processing - but the risk is higher for the purchaser than with online payment providers.

Comment

thanks for your response drownding.

The point i'm getting at is that there doesn't appear to be any security at all for the seller.

The link below implies that removing some code will pass an adress onto paypal, but the customer could still type any address into my site and i wouldn't be any wiser!

http://community.actinic.com/showthr...verify+address

Comment

This is the main setback to all e-commerce transactions... the seller trades blind with no real protection ... there is nothing to stop the correct address being supplied for a stolen credit card and being send as a "gift" to Uncle Scamster elsewhere ... and the credit card companies will shrug and go "pah" ... you are out of monies and goods.

Bikster
                SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

In the US, I use UPS for shipping which gives me on-line tracking and also signature confirmation. Would you have a similar service in the UK that you could use, perhaps only for your PayPal customers?

Regards,

Alistair

Comment

Working...
                  X