Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Network test successful but won't upload - PLEASE HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network test successful but won't upload - PLEASE HELP!!

I hope someone can help. Recently my clients hosts (ready hosting) have migrated our account to new servers and we are now unable to refresh the web site using acatalog.

The strange thing is that when ADVANCED >> NETWORK SETTUP >> TEST is run it gives the message 'The network settings test was successful'. However, when we try and upload Catalog comes up with an error box saying...

"The path from the cgi-bin to the acatalog directory is not correct. It appears as if the catalog directory does not exist on the remote host"

Why is this?

The settings...

Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog directory:
    //nawinfs02/home/users/web/b93/rh.manor/cgi-bin/acatalog/

Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog Directory as Viewed by the FTP server (leave blank unless advised):
    ../acatalog/

Can somebody tell me why this isn't working?

The network settings file can be found here...
    http://www.manorshop.com/manor_new_net_settings.txt

Please help! Thanks in advance - Ben

That would be because

Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog directory:
    Isn't the path from the cgi-bin to the acatalog directory.

It may have worked in the past but the full path name used has almost certainly changed (as it usually includes the server name).

try ../acatalog/

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot
      That would be because

Isn't the path from the cgi-bin to the acatalog directory.

It may have worked in the past but the full path name used has almost certainly changed (as it usually includes the server name).

try ../acatalog/

Mike
      Hi Mike, thanks for that, however, already tried that and I get the same message

Any other ideas?

Thanks - Ben

Comment

Some servers do not actually have a cgi-bin folder on there - have you checked via FTP that an actual folder exists? Worth a check for free.

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont
          Some servers do not actually have a cgi-bin folder on there - have you checked via FTP that an actual folder exists? Worth a check for free.
          Hi, yes, all the directories are definatey there. I have had a look with Dreamweaver. That's what has me so puzzled!?

Comment

Are you sure you tried ../acatalog/ i.e. with two dots. The network settings posted on your site only have 1 dot

Mike

PS. I assume that's not your real username and password. Make sure you overwrite them if they are.

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot
              Are you sure you tried ../acatalog/ i.e. with two dots. The network settings posted on your site only have 1 dot

Mike

PS. I assume that's not your real username and password. Make sure you overwrite them if they are.
              Hi Mike,

Yes, I have tried it both ways. Didn't work either way. Works on the test but not when I actually try and upload.

No, they are not the real username and password

Comment

Set it to ../acatalog/ as that is what it should be. What error message do you get?

Also check the permissions of the cgi-bin. It needs to be set to 755.

Mike

Comment

The other thing to check is the ftppathfromcgitoacatalog especially if the cgi-bin is located other than in the same place as that acatalog directory.

Mike

Comment

Try paths from the /web folder, so:

/web/b93/rh.manor/cgi-bin/acatalog/

Invariable, although the full path may well be

Your permissions may not start being used no folders until the /web area, with

//nawinfs02/home/users/

Quite possibly owned by root or www and not your server assigned username and uid.

Worth a try

Comment

Right people, thanks for all the suggestions, still not working yet though...

olderscot - when I have '../acatalog' set in the 'Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog Directory:' bit (the left hand side) I get the error message

'The directory specified as the path from the CGI-BIN to the acatalog directory does not exist on the web server. Check the path. Also see the online help...'

However, if I set it to './acatalog/ it passes the network test no problem (still will not upload though)

Permissions on both 'cgi-bin' and 'acatalog' folders are set at 755.

Support@Techno- I tried putting the full path in (//nawinfs02/home/users/web/b93/rh.manor/cgi-bin/acatalog/) the left hand 'Path from CGI-BIN...' box but although it passes the network test, it will not upload. I get the same message as before.

I also tried putting just '/web/b93/rh.manor/cgi-bin/acatalog/
                      ' in that box but I get an error message saying that path doesn't exist.

Any other ideas?

Comment

I just visited the base URI and it is loaded. The messages I am seeing when I try to navigate through cgi-bin (using simple search) indicate the problem may lie elsewhere - have you tried using a cgi extension on the scripts instead of the pl extension?
                        Bill
                        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
                          I just visited the base URI and it is loaded. The messages I am seeing when I try to navigate through cgi-bin (using simple search) indicate the problem may lie elsewhere - have you tried using a cgi extension on the scripts instead of the pl extension?
                          The site has been there for a few years. The webhosts recently changed servers or something though and since then we can't upload, therefore the site is the same as it was last time we uploaded (about 7 days ago).

Sorry, I am not very experienced with these things. What do you mean about putting a cgi extention on instead? Where do I do that?

I am happy to give that a whirl - could you just indicate what I change and where?

Comment

Advanced | Network Settings - CGI Script number and extension. Not at all sure it will make any difference.

Have you logged in to your control panel and checked that the dot beside Windows CGI is actually green? If yes, try switching it off and back on again as this sometimes helps with script errors.

Other than that, I would get more details from the host as to what has changed - If they have upgraded from IIS 5 to IIS 6 or what exactly they have done.
                            Bill
                            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
                              Advanced | Network Settings - CGI Script number and extension. Not at all sure it will make any difference.

Have you logged in to your control panel and checked that the dot beside Windows CGI is actually green? If yes, try switching it off and back on again as this sometimes helps with script errors.

Other than that, I would get more details from the host as to what has changed - If they have upgraded from IIS 5 to IIS 6 or what exactly they have done.
                              Hi, do you mean at the ready hosting control panel? If so, yes, the green light is on. Can't figure out how to turn it off and back on again?

I have opened a support ticket with ready hosting (did so yesterday) but after sending them a screen grab of the issue I have yet to hear anything back.

The thing that puzzles me is it's virtually as soon as I press the upload button (or web refresh) that the error comes up, almost like it stumbles at the first hurdle although it does the network test (or even the step by step confirm version) with no problems...?

Comment

Working...
                              X