Still can't upload/refresh/test/FTP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still can't upload/refresh/test/FTP

Can't upload my site. It's been over a week. No one seems knowledgeable enough to resolve my issue.

Uninstalled Norton AV 2006 which I was told was the problem. Reinstalled it now becuase it's not.

Test mode doesn't work either.

My router is a simple affair and not the cause either.

Seems to be something to do with my Laptop. Everything else with my Laptop runs fine. Internet, Networks, VPN all work OK. Only Actinic FTP capability does not work.

End of tether already reached and haven't even got website uploaded yet.

Website successfully loaded from design house last week using their desktop.

Going to go out of business before I even get started at this rate.

Can anyone help please?

A week ago today, you just dropped out of the conversation - what OS are you using on the laptop? Is there a firewall? Have you got exactly the same details loaded as the design house did when they successfully uploaded? Who is the webhost? Can you export your network settings to a text file - edit to remove user id's and passwords then post here?
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Hi Bill

Thought I was going to get it fixed. Actinic haven't been able to help me so far.

I have two PC's. Mine doesn't, the other one does. Trouble is I have two day jobs and am aout and about all week. Need Actinic to work on my PC because it has all the information I need on it, plus it's set up to plug into my clients networks when I go and work on their sites. Intention was to use lunch times and quieter moments to load up products in Actinic and update when I get home at nights.

Have compared settings between PCs and can't see any differences. FTP uses port 21 on both machines, the network settings were imported on both machines from the same text file. I'm at a loss. My machine, the one that won't update carries extra programmes to the one that does work, but this shouldn't affect its ability to FTP. But then again perhaps......?

If I had the time, it's a rather interesting challenge, but I've already lost 7 days out of my schedule and am severely behind and am therfore pretty much stuffed as I now only have two weeks to get my products loaded up, IMA and card handler arranged and sort out everything else related to launching a business.

Do you know if Actinic's FTP engine is based on an off the shelf product that they've embedded?

Comment

Graham,

If all you are looking for is a workaround, take a snapshot of the work you do on the laptop, import it to the working machine and upload from there.

If you want to solve the problem then we are going to have to look at everything that could influence the upload.

I listed several of those already, another simple thing that can trip you up is in View | Business Settings - Options tab, are all four options ticked in the " Allow on this PC " box?

You say the router has been eliminated as a possible cause - how did you reach that conclusion - what make is the router?

There is information in the Advanced User Guide about uploading without FTP access - this may help you.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Graham

Is this your problem - upload stops at randon times uploading base files/catalog files, resulting in the 'not responding' display.

I suddenly developed similar problems last year, but only with one of the 3 sites I run from here, and on 2 different computers. The largest one was the problem site. I never found the cause. I played around with the FTP settings in Network Settings and this is what 'sort of' works:

Check both Enhanced and Passive boxes. Click the 'FTP Options' button and enter:

Client Timeout - 15000
          Connection timeout - 25000
          Silent Running - enabled
          Max retries - 50
          Retry delay - 3000

If the upload stalls just leave it and have a cuppa; have a few. Most of the time I found the upload did complete, but took a while. I know this should not happen but until someone finds the cause, well..

If it totally stalls then click the 'Cancel' button. What happens here with you will interest me, as when I do it the program stops responding and I have to use alt-ctlr-del to close Actinic. I then restart and go through the process again. Eventually the full upload is done and then I update each time I do a small number of changes.

This all started again earlier this year when I developed another large site. I logged a ticket with Actinic, and our ISP (we have a dedicated server). No answers have been found.

I wonder if this is an issue linking the FTP used in Actinic and connection to the server. It seems there is a momentary dropout and Actinic fails to reconnect successfully. Since I do not get any other connection problems with our server with other programs I can only assume this is something in the FTP. I raised this on the forum some time ago and it is clear that very few have this problem.

I have tried it with our Netgear router, Alcatel modem and dial-up, and I get the same problem each time.

The one thing I have not tried is to use someone else's Internet connection, as this would then compare performance with mine.

Has anyone any experience with .ftpaccess?

Bob
          Supporting the environment. This post uses 100% recycled electrons.
          Bob Isaac
          Director/Web Admin
          Volvo Owners Club Ltd

Actinic MS Business Version 8.5.2

Comment

Working...
          X