Login - different option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Login - different option

I wanted to put the login page on the first page of my catalogue, so that only registered users can view the shop part of my web site,

http://www.devotedly-discus.co.uk/cg...talogbody.html

I thought I would test it, so tried to create an account for myself - but am I correct in my assumption that you can only create an account for people who have actually placed an order? - I say this because it wont allow me to enter an address by typing it ( only from a blank drop down)

I ve had several people ask me to set up an account for them by email.

I thought I could run a dummy ordered through the site, and use the address I create as a default so I can activate the facility as I want to use it, then change the individual details if they place an order.

What I need is a "create an account for access" page to submit to me - is this a posibility?

Just a thought Id have to disable the thing to allow me into the shop to create the first account - at the moment the way Ive set it up...its closed!

Any better ideas?
    Last edited by Mark Evenden; 18-Mar-2006, 08:04 AM. Reason: forgot to add

but am I correct in my assumption that you can only create an account for people who have actually placed an order?
    A customer placing an order would not be a prerequisite for account creation. The two have nothing to do with each other.

I can't tell how much of the following you may already know, but here goes......

To set up an account with a user name and password, start by setting up a customer group. Go to 'View' in the tool bar and choose 'Customer groups'. Create a new customer group.

Then go to 'View' again, but this time choose 'Customer Accounts'. Your new group will appear on the left side. Hi-light the new group and choose edit. On the next screen you set up the details in the Account, Addresses and Buyers tabs. It is there that you set up the user names and passwords which have to, in turn, be provided to the customer so they can use them. The new information must be on the server so an incremental update is required.

And finally, you could just ask your customers to state what they would prefer their usernames and passwords to be when they email their request.

c

Comment

Working...
    X