Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Java Sub Section Lists

Hi,

This may well have been explained before, but i've searched through the old posts and can't see the sort of thing i'm after - if it is then please feel free to send me abuse

I would like to change the section list, which is shown on the left hand side of our actinic pages, so that it includes sub sections as well as the top level sections. I have seen that this is possible using Java (as per the advanced user guide) but I don't want them to be created on the fly using a document.write, as it then decreases the Search Engine spider's paths and hence your ranking.

To show what i mean, if you look at our front page ( http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk ) then you will see that all/most of our Actinic sections and subsections are shown (although this was done manually by me!!!) but if you look at one of our actinic pages (eg. http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/index.html ) it only includes the top levels.

Thanks for reading this, and if you know of a way to do this or can point in the right direction, then that would be fantastic!!!

Cheers,

Stuart
    Tacklebargains.co.uk

Located: Cheshire, UK

There is a NETQUOTEVAR:TOPLEVELSECTIONSTOP (see Advanced Guide) that will generate the top-level links in a non JavaScript way. It won't generate a two-level list. That needs JavaScript.

The usual method of making your JavaScript menus spider friendly, is to include a simple text link to the Site Map in your Primary Template This means that there are links to all your pages (via the Site Map which is a multi-level list of normal links) from every page.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

We are already using the NETQUOTEVAR:TOPLEVELSECTIONSTOP to generate the top level links on the LHS of the page - which works great - but we really would like to show levels below that as well.

I just find it strange that there is no NETQUOTEVAR which allows this - and currently we receive very good search results which is why I am reluctant to remove the 'static' links in the produced html in exchange for a document.write(...)

Would this sort of functionality be something that Actinic would consider introducing if it is currently impossible, as to me it would seem a fairly reasonable request to display more than just your top level catalog sections?

Thanks!!

Stuart
      Tacklebargains.co.uk

Comment

Could Norman or someone equally helpful supply the code for the sitemap link and exactly where in the template it should go?

Thanks in advance.
        Jeff Pollack
        www.alldawgs.com
        www.profleeceusa.com
        www.4dogclubsonly.com
        www.silverwood2007.com

Comment

Design / Options / Sections / Site Map. The simply put a link like

<a href="http://www.mysite.com/acatalog/sitemap.html">Site Map</a>

somewhere suitable in your Brochure and Primary Template. Somewhere in the left sidebar would make it appear early in the page's HTML, so would be a good place.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Even though we have the section links, we also have a normal link to the sitemap page in our actinic pages too. We have ours in our Overall Layout page (Act_primary) - ours is placed at the top of the left hand column we use for navigation links, but equally you could have it at the top of your pages in the horizontal links.

If you look at one of our pages ( http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/index.html ), the bit of text "[ View all Product Sections ]" at the top left of the left hand side column is just a simple text link that i added in which goes to the sitemap page.

so the code for it would be <a href="http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/sitemap.html">[ View all Product Sections ]</a>

So, for example, on your AllDawgs.com site, I would personally add the link "Sitemap" to the navigation links you have at the top beside Home, Up, Shop etc. If you look at your Act_Primary Overall Layout in your HTML editor, you'll be able to see the white row where they go, and play around with adding the static link into that.

Hope that helps even though I started waffling on a bit

Stuart
            Tacklebargains.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Stuart...I'll give it a try early in the week...tomorrow's reserved for house hunting.
              Jeff Pollack
              www.alldawgs.com
              www.profleeceusa.com
              www.4dogclubsonly.com
              www.silverwood2007.com

Comment

Working...
              X