dll hell and Actinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dll hell and Actinic

Have installed Actinic Catalog V5 on a clean instal of Windows 98, MDAC and JET utilities all loaded cleanly, but on startup get
    "The CATALOG.EXE file is linked to missing expert MFC42.DLL:6656"

Things tried so far:

Copy of new mfc42.dll from original Win 98 install disc using sfc utility - no good

Uninstalled / reinstalled v.5, same results on trying

Copy of new mfc42.dll from original Win 98 install disc cut and paste - no good

Uninstalled / reinstalled v.5, same results on trying

Rebuilt Win98 from reformatted HD, with only basic drivers to check no s/w conflict - same result as above

Reload of Win 98 with same disc as used on different machine running this copy of v.5, cut and paste mfc42.dll across from there - got illegal operation message and app. closed down

Now at a total loss - any ideas anyone? I have loaded and used V.5 about 10 or 12 times for clients in the past and never hadc a problem before:confused!

Hi there

You could try the following:

1. Booting into Safe mode of Windows
    2. Once you are in Safe mode, do a search for all mfc42.dll
    3. If you have more than 2 then this is the cause of the problem, simply delete them all.
    4. Go to "Start | Run" and type in SFC, place the mfc42.dll file within c:\windows\system

Once this is done, simply shutdown and reboot back into normal windows.

You should have only one file of mfc42.dll within windows and all other programs can link into it.

Try this and see what happens.
    Kind Regards
    Nadeem Rasool
    SellerDeck Development

Comment

Hi Nadeem

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion.
      Any ideas why I should get multiple copies of the .dll?

Comment

When you install software that dll is occasionally installed, so something may have installed a different version of it (probably older).

I have 9 of them on my machine, with at least three different versions, mine works because they have been installed in the correct place (which is local to the software that needs them).

Regards
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Hi Graeme

Any ideas why I should get multiple copies of the .dll?
          Normally if you install different programs (ie Paint Shop pro), they each include their own mfc42.dll, and install it within the programs files folder

I have found out that if there is multiple version of mfc42.dll, then windows will give you an error message.

Here is some information: Microsoft Technet Information

Kind Regards
          Nadeem Rasool
          SellerDeck Development

Comment

mmm, this was a clean install of Win 98, with no other s/w, even third party drivers, but I have got three incidences of mfc42.dll - deleted the lot, and am following yr recommendation.
            Keep you posted.
            Thanks all, for your assistance - greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X