Revision History and Backups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revision History and Backups

I'm curious what others do about recording the changes they have made to the site between backups. It's all well and good restoring an older version if needed but you also need to know what you did since the backup to get back to where you were.

I have a hidden brochure page called Revision History with a fragment in it. In this fragment I make notes about what changes I have made and the date they were done. If I ever have to restore I can then compare the date of the backup with the dates of the revision notes so I know what I may have lost or need to redo.

What does anyone else do?

I would like to see Actinic prompt for an optional comment entry before making backups (wish list please perhaps)

Duncan

I use a source control system (Visual Sourcesafe) to store my templates etc, so that I can go back if I ever need to.

Regards,
    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
    Multichannel order processing
    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

No shortcuts

Duncan,
      I do a site snapshot after every modification/update.
      It only takes a few seconds and is the only way to be sure you capture all changes.
      Sometimes this means 2 or 3 snapshots a day - tedious - but very simple and far less tedious than total loss.
      I use the naming convention YY-MM-DD-backup.acd so that explorer indexes the backups in proper chronological order should you need to restore.
      Rgds,
      Marcus
      www.pastillo.com

Comment

I do too - I create a snapshot, copy all of the site folder and other files too. But it's not what I backup or how often, it's what did I do when. If for example I wanted to get a template from an older snapshot to see something then I would need to be able to know what was done and changed in that snapshot since the previous one. A Sourcesafe solution is ideal but expensive - maybe there's some cheaper solution around - I'll keep digging.

Comment

I tend to do 2 things.

1. duplicate the template prior to making changes appending with the changes to follow eg: Act_ProductLine_B4_NEW_BOX.html ... working on the original

2. create a simple text file and append any changes and alterations

This then keeps a running record and a instant clue to the changes made for the templates

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
          X