Explain this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explain this!

I received the usual e-mail copy of the customers order, OK no problem, it agreed with the downloaded order.

16 minutes later another copy arrived in the inbox, but this was for a different amount, both e-mails referred to the same items, but in the second e-mail the quantity of one of the products had miraculously been increased from 3 to 8 and the totals VAT etc. had been proportionally increased.

I compared the headers for both e-mails and could find nothing suspicious.

Have I been hacked?
    Mick Jackson
    Jackson's Fishing Tackle
    www.jackfish.net

The customer can tell you if you call them at the number they gave you on the order.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Would not want to upset the customer by contacting them over something I am just curious about.

Probably should have mentioned that both e-mails had the same order reference number.

I am not looking for answers, unless this is more sinister than appears at first glance.
      Mick Jackson
      Jackson's Fishing Tackle
      www.jackfish.net

Comment

I think the suggestion is that the customer may have fiddled the numbers.

I would check:

a) the order number
        b) do another download in case there's a new order
        c) check with the psp how much has been charged to the card.

I haven't heard of this happening before though.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I second Bill's suggestion - give them a quick phone call under the pretences of checking say the postcode or something benign .... no need to mention the site has been hacked and their credit card being used to finance gun-running in the far east

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

PSP figure agrees with the lower total and the downloaded order.
            Mick Jackson
            Jackson's Fishing Tackle
            www.jackfish.net

Comment

Apart from phnoning and checking in the far east you could also check your server logs and search for the order number, filter by IP, and then check what the customer was doing leading up to the orders.

Comment

If you follow Duncan's suggestion you might see two visits to the cart.

I would call or email and question the quantity requested. What happens if you ship 3 and the customer wanted 8? An unhappy customer, and that costs more than the contact.
                Bill
                www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

It does look as if something strange is going on. But it's not at all clear what.

I would also call the customer at this stage. If he's genuine then you need to explain that there may have been an error somewhere as he might also have got the rogue email and be confused about what's going on. It's also possible that he might have been trying to change his order and messed up somewhere.

I doubt if it's anything sinister as there are easier and less discoverable ways to make fraudulent purchases.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
                  X