Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Page Titles

Hi

In the "brochure" section of my site, every section head has an "edit" button that allows me to edit the code for the page title so that I can specify a different title appearing in the header bar than the page name which appears in site menus.

For instance my page title reads "Natco Online Indian Food & Cooking" whereas my menu title on the page reads "Homepage". This allows me to optimise that page for the keyphrase "Indian Food" for search engines.

However, this facility does not appear to be in my catalog sections. Is there a way I can access the code in these sections so that page titles can be different to the menu titles on the page? I am specifically talking about changing the code in the <title></title> sections?

Have you tried going down the CUSTOMVAR route?

Eg in the templates you need to assign a specific title use <title>CUSTOMVAR:TITLE</title> ... adding in the customvar under Advanced | Custom Properties

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks Jont

That makes sense, will have a go.

Comment

Jonty - I'm trying to do exactly what you suggest, in Act_Primary:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

<HTML>
        <HEAD>

<TITLE>CUSTOMVAR:TITLE</TITLE>

<META NAME="ACTINICTITLE" CONTENT="NETQUOTEVAR:PAGEHEADER">

<!--@act NETQUOTEVAR:HEADERMETA -->
        <!--@act NETQUOTEVAR:LOADFUNCTION -->
        <!--@act NETQUOTEVAR:P3PFULLPOLICYLINK -->

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
        <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language" content="EN-GB">

<Actinic:BASEHREF VALUE="NETQUOTEVAR:BASEHREF"/>

etc etc

The CustomVar is set up properly and I have tested it in another template (Act_ProductLine, which "fits inside" Act_Primary) but wherever I put it in Act_Primary it returns nothing - it's as if Act_Primary doesn't know which product it should return data for. I've stared at this all afternoon - am I doing something dim? Thank you in advance for your help. Mark H

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Hi Mark - you can set a global value under Design | Options | Site Defaults and then in each section using the "property" tab and adding in the CUSTOMVAR there to over ride the global value (it cascades down from the Global to Section and then subsections will inherit the value in its parent etc)

HTH

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks Jonty - you've made me realise what I'm doing wrong - I'm running one product per section, and the Title CustomVar and value needs to be in the product's section, not the product where it is at the moment (Doh!). I have imported all the titles for each product using a hierarchical file from a spreadsheet, so I need to figure out how to import into the product's section rather than the product. No beer for me tonight. Mark H

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Working...
            X