No announcement yet.

Preview takes a long time ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Duncan and Norman. A quick check on another computer should prove its a local environment issue, and allow you to move on. (You did not say if you also have IE7 installed)

I do think it is worth a defragment - whatever the results of the check. I usually kick mine off and allow them to run overnight.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Just to make things complicated... I'm using Developer (version 6) and one of our sites previews immediately (massive site), and another site (much much smaller site) takes about 6 mins to preview even the single page.

Bare in mind this is developer... both sites are on the same machine, under the same version of Developer, using the same browser, etc etc.

Comment

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? It's extremely frustrating!

Comment

Mark,

Your version on events does seem to change our existing perception of the problem.

How can this be a OS problem if you have two different sites on the same machine responding differently and worse still in a converse manner.

I think Actinic may need to look into this a little deeper, as like you this is very frustrating and has stiffled my development significantly, as I have turned off Preview, but have to run a IE Preview every time I want to look at work I've done, (and this is just as slow).

This happened to me overnight, I have tried to appreciate what changed, but nothing sticks.

C'mon Actinic a challenge is laid down. Simon.
          esafetysigns.co.uk
          your instant download portal for self printable health and safety signs and posters
          ... download once use as many times as you like !

http://www.esafetysigns.co.uk/index.html
          http://www.esafetysigns.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Comment

Thanks for the reply Simon - it's a little reassuring knowing I'm not the only one.

I don't suppose you use any plugins on your slow-to-preview site? I've been wondering what might be different between the two sites and it has just occured to me that the slow-to-preview one uses some third party plug-ins. Am I allowed to divulge their name on here?

Comment

I use no plug-ins.

We were thinking that my spyware software "Spyware Doctor" by PC Tools was causing the problem, but again this is just a logical perception and no conclusion.

I re-installed Actinic completely in case the spyware programme inadvertently quaratined essential programs - but this did nothing.

I have yet to try on another PC, which was going to be my final acid test.

All I actually know is that when I run Single Page Web Preview, Actinic sits around for about a minute doing nothing and then starts checking files, whereas once upon a time it would go straight into checking files off the mouse button depress.

It must be having a cuppa, on its break, an all!

More feedback wanted, Simon.
              esafetysigns.co.uk
              your instant download portal for self printable health and safety signs and posters

Comment

It must be something pertinent to the site in question, well certainly in the case here with two sites behaving totally different and both sites being within the same implementation of Actinic Developer.

Similar to you, if I hit the "Preview Page" button it takes about five minutes for the preview to come up. But if I switch from this site over to the main site (in Actinic) it previews almost immediately. As I've said above, the slow-to-preview site is a far smaller site than the speedier one.

For me at least, I can rule out firewalls, antivirus/spam/malware software as its all on the same machine.

Comment

Sorry to spam this thread to the top, but i think its worth it, and perhaps establish more situations that have suffered the same issue ?

A solution to this would be greatly received .... really it would !

Simon.
                  esafetysigns.co.uk

Comment

Simon & Mark,

Did any of you raise a support ticket on this issue as yet? A support ticket can be raised @ http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/register.htm. Please refer this thread while raising the ticket, a support team member will then be able to get a snapshot of the site or a zipped Site1 folder to pass on to Development to take a look at.

Have you tried Actinic on another PC and see if the performance delay with the preview is replicable? Any information you can porvide while raising the ticket will be helpful.

Kind regards,
                    Bruce King
                    SellerDeck

Comment

Just updating our slow-to-preview site and thought I'd pop back here for a possible update.

Anyway, have taken your advice Bruce and raised a ticket.

Comment

Hi,

If anyone is still having an issue with speed when the preview window is enabled, it's worth checking to see if you have Windows Script Debugging enabled. Look in Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced tab, and make sure the "Disable Script Debugging (other)" box is ticked. If not, tick it, and try Actinic again.

I had this problem, and it took a little bit of investigation to find out how to fix it (so simple in the end though!). Hope this helps someone.
                        Peter

www.aquatix-2u.co.uk - UK suppliers of pond pumps, filters, liners, and much more

Comment

Working...
                        X