Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perl Script Extension is incorrect

Hi,

I am a web host currently helping a customer to setup a web store using actinic.

We are having problems during the configuration. We are able to configure the FTP, web root and cgi-bin successfully, but when it comes to perl, it is giving us an error saying that the 'Perl Extension is incorrect'.

Our web server is Linux and it supports running CGI script. We have tested by uploading a simple perl script (.cgi / .pl) and changed the script's permission to executable (0755) and it is able to run it by calling it using a browser.

I guess the reason actinic is throwing the Perl Extension Error is because actinic does not change the script's permission to executable (CHMOD) once the CGI Script ActinicSimple.pl is uploaded.

Here is the FTP log:
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx UNKNOWN demo [25/Mar/2006:18:16:35 -0500] "CWD /" 250 -
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx UNKNOWN demo [25/Mar/2006:18:16:35 -0500] "CWD /www/cgi-bin" 250 -
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx UNKNOWN demo [25/Mar/2006:18:16:35 -0500] "TYPE A" 200 -
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx UNKNOWN demo [25/Mar/2006:18:16:35 -0500] "PORT xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,13,86" 200 -
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx UNKNOWN demo [25/Mar/2006:18:16:36 -0500] "STOR ActinicSimple.cgi" 226 1171
    This simply upload the .pl script but it does not set the scripts permission to executable so it is giving Actinic a 500 internal server error while trying to execute it via web. Usually when you set the script's permission, it should issue a 'SITE CHMOD' command and we would be able to see it by going through the FTP logs, but it looks like Actinic does not set any permission on the script.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [25/Mar/2006:18:16:36 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/ActinicSimple.cgi HTTP/1.1" 500 809 "-" "Catalog"
    Please advice

It looks like Actinic is looking for ActinicSimple.pl not ActinicSimple.cgi
    Have you changed any script extensions in Actinic?
    Also I've never seen that script name before. What version of Actinic is this?

Comment

ActinicSimple.pl is in the main Actinic installation folder. It's just a few lines of Perl that outputs the date.

I guess this is used at the very start of the Network Test or Wizard.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Version 7

During the configuration, Actinic uploads the test script ActinicSimple.pl and also the same script in different file extensions like .sh .perl5, etc just to determine the file extension for CGI script

While doing the Perl check, it uploads the ActinicSimple.pl script but it never change any permission, so this is why it returns a 500 error when Actinic access the ActinicSimple.pl via the web.

Strangely enough, it changes the script permission if I use the "Configure New Network Settings" option when I setup the configuration. If I use the "Confirm Each Setting" option, it does not.

I am not sure if this is a bug ...

Comment

Adrian,

You can also configure your network setting manually in Advanced / Network Setup.

If you know your server (and you seem to) then this may be an easier method than letting a Wizard poke around.

There's also a Test button available so you can see whether your settings are OK or not.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks. That works fine and it is much more easier!

Comment

Working...
            X