Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merge error AGAIN

Hello

I have just changed webspace provider and I've come across the merge error for the first time. I've checked through the Knowledge Base and the threads in the Community. As a result, this is the current state of the problem:-

My firewall (Zone Alarm) is disabled & the Advanced Network Setup test is completely successful.

I have:

created a cgi folder on a server which is supposed to be completely cgi-enabled

done a refresh, then a purge & refresh

changed the Permissions settings so that they are now
    website 777
    acatalog folder 777
    cgi 755

Following advice from another thread, I've changed the permissions on all the files in the cgi folder to 755 but, instead of the merge error message, Catalog just hangs now when I try to refresh or update.

Has anyone else encountered & solved the merge problem for an exactly similar case?

Cheers

Myra

website 777
    acatalog folder 777
    cgi 755

Those settings above are most definately not advised and most Linux systems will not allow anything to run under those settings nowadays because it gives world writable permissions, so would suggest changing them to

website 755
    acatalog folder 755
    cgi 755

and then give it a go.

Comment

Thanks for replying.

I'd intended tightening up security, once I could get the upload to work. Have now set all folders to 755, but no luck.

Myra

Comment

Go to Housekeeping | Compact Databases, select both. Try the upload again after re-opening Actinic.

For Zone Alarm, it should be OK if you go to the Program Control tab and click the first two columns against Catalog - internet sales application. Mine works with ZA and those settings.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I don't understand why compacting the databases would affect the merge phase on the server, but I've just tried it anyway. Unfortunately, I still get a merge error.

Thanks for trying to help.

Myra

Comment

Doing a compact and a purge can have 'strange' but resolving effects in the weirdest of conditions, when nothing is really wrong, so good advise

If the merge is still failing, then it could be your norton (if you use this) is blocking the final call for the merge believing it to be a trojan.

Might I suggest as temp measure to disable the firewall just to do the update to see if it goes through ok with it off, which if it does, then switch it back on and then see about fine tunning the exception or exclusions to allow Actinic unhindered access.

You might also speak with your host to see if the error logs show anything, i.e. sent request but not heard back sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
            X