Cannot upload or download since computer change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot upload or download since computer change

I recently changed from an old desk top to an up to date desktop. Since the change I have been unable to upload or download to or from my web site. The old machine still operates O.K. When I try to upload I get a lengthy error warning 'An error occured while trying to connect to the server' and on download 'A connection with the server could not be established'. I have checked with my old machine and all the proxy and ftp seem the same. I have switched the firewall of but in any case Actinic is established on the firewall. This is a stand alone computer. The web site is www.newdawndive.co.uk Help I am desperate to get my new machine working as it is a real pain to keep going back to my old computer. Thanks Richard.

Hi Richard,

Do you use a router/firewall or modem?
    Is the new machine able to access the internet?

Just want to establish if your new pc connects to the internet?

Dave
    David Shorthouse,
    Website Manager,
    http://www.Queenswood.co.uk

Comment

Try the Network Test in Advanced / Network Setup and report the results.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Dave, Thanks for your reply, I have disconnected the firewall and I have also enabled actinic with the firewall. The computer is on its own and not connected to a network. Yes I can connect to the internet and get my emails. I have also today had contact with my servis provider and they say that all the right connections have been made at my end. Hope this helps. Richard.

Comment

Hi Norman, Tried that and I get the following:An error occurred when trying to connect to the server. This can happen when the server is unreachable or you have set up an SSL server, but this server can not accept SSL connections, or Windows is confused about proxy settings. If you have Internet Explorer or another application configured to work with a proxy, the settings should be the same for Actinic Ecommerce. Please check your connection first. Regards Richard.

Comment

Looks like an operating system or firewall problem.

Do other Internet applications work on this system?
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Norman, Brilliant, I have Norton anti virus, I switched the firewall off and actinic works, fantastic, thank you very much for your help. All I have to do now is figure out how to get norton to accept actinic. Thanks once again Richard.
              Jubilation short lived I now cannot upload the site due to the following problem:Error accessing the cgi-bin.

Possible Cause:
              The directory does not exist on the remote server
              The permissions on the directory on the
              remote server are locked
              The wrong Path to the CGI-BIN is specified in your
              web site details in
              the Business Settings
              Recommendation:
              Abort
              Resolution:
              Run the Web | Configure Web Site Details command to verify your setup
              Create the cgi-bin directory on the remote server
              Correct the permissions on the cgi-bin directory on
              the remote server

Comment

When the Actinic software can not get a response back from the hosting server, due to the firewall blocking that call, Actinic will sometimes change the permissions on the acatalog and/or cgi-bin folder to 0777 permissions, which many hosts will simply then (as a security measure) not allow anything to execute under such global write abilities, so although the firewall may now be switched off, the permissions could be 0777, and that means no script will work or the cat and fil files can not be read and changed etc.

Try manually ftp'ing into your account and if they are 777, then change them to 755 and then do a web | configure website, ensuring that both checkboxes are unchecked (to retain your original settings) and let it roll through the checks and if that works, then do a web | refresh to ensure all is upload as it should be...

Just an idea.

Comment

Working...
                X