Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE / NS performace problem

Hi

I am having problems with Interent Explorer (6) taking a long time to load pages from my site (anywhere up to 1 1/2 minutes). Netscape (6.2) has no problem loading them quickly: between than 2-5 seconds. I'm fairly sure its a simple setting change in IE, but I just can't find it.

Thanks

Ed

Perhaps you could post up a URL of your store so we can take a look.

Of the top of my head, it could be something to do with the way the two browsers handle tables. It could be that IE waits for the entire contents of a table to load before displaying it, whereas NS displays it as it gets it.

The biggest table in Actinic can often be the product table where the table headers and footers come from Act_ProductBody.html and the content comes from the product layout templates. One approach could be to remove the <table></table> tags from Act_ProductBody and place them within each product layout template, thus splitting one large table into lots of little ones.

If you do this, you will also need to put Act_ProductSeparator.html into its own table.

Comment

Thanks for tip Chris. I'll give it a bash.

Ed

Comment

Hu Chris

Had a look at at the tables, but all seemed OK. Dug a little deeper and found the problem is an SSL cert icon I use from Geo Trust (the icon is loaded from the Geo Trust site).

There is no problem on the live site, but when you run a page with this icon locally, it slows down. The reason for this is that the SSL cert is attached to my domain name so, if I try and open the page from a local source, it causes problems for IE. Oddly enough though, Netscape seems to be able to handle this a lot better as there is no apparent efect on Netscape under the same circumstances.

Until I can find out why IE can't handle this situation, I just have disable the script that loads the icon. If anyone else has come accross this and found a workaround I would appreciate hearing you.

Thanks for help.

Ed

Comment

Working...
        X