Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wrap single div element around whole section list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wrap single div element around whole section list?

i am wanting to wrap a containing div element around the section list code. From looking inside design > Text > html (lines 1187, 1188, 1189, 1190) i can't see any way to do this, as lines 1187, 1188 get used for each category row.

what i want to do is surround the whole section list html with my own div tag so i can use css to control the display.

any ideas?

Do it in the Templates. E.g. in Act_Primary.html or Act_ProductBody.html
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for your help Norman.

This sort of works - in that i can surround the section list with the div tag. The problem is now that i don't want the div tag to appear when there is no section list output on the page.

I am grappling around with some javascript to detect if NETQUOTEVAR:SECTIONLISTTOP is empty or not. I will then be able to display my div only when there is a section list output.

Problem i am up against when setting a variable to the netquotevar is it doesn't like it as it's got loads of quotes in there + other funny characters (error: unterminated string literal).

I'll see if i can get the javascript to work using escape function.

Comment

You can use either '...' or "..." to enclose string constants. One or the other usualy works.

Also you can use a CUSTOMVAR at the Section level to define the class for that DIV.

Comment

Thanks for that Norman.

I'll look into the use of customvar for the div class.

I have enclosed my NETQUOTEVAR:SECTIONLISTTOP with '' in the javascript. I've found out that the prolem is that there is a carriage return in the code generated in the netqoutevar, so i can't set a variable to it. Just looking on the web to see how to handle strings like this as is useful knowledge to have - plenty of info on how to set strings with returns, but not much on how to handle strings that already have them in!

Comment

JavaScript uses a new line as the end of a statement (unless it's obvious from the context that a statement needs more lines). I doubt that there's a workaround.

Interestingly PHP does allow multi-line string constants.

Comment

Got it working by assigning CUSTOMVAR to the categories. The only problem is now that i can't attach this CUSTOMVAR to the root category, hence i can't make the div class display round the section list in index.html.

i may try and use javascript to detect the location for this instance, and get round it that way.

Comment

Root level Customvar's are set via Design / Options / Site Defaults / Properties.

Their values will be available for all Sections / Products unless you redefine them at the Section or Product level.

Comment

Thanks very much Norman - was quite a basic thing i was missing. Sorted now.

Comment

Working...
                  X