FTP problem....again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTP problem....again

Hi,me again. Just tried to upload the site/download orders and get the following error message

"Unable to connect to the FTP server "ftp.natco-online.com" because the specified server is invalid. This could also occur if the network connection is down.

The server name or address could not be resolved".

The internet connection is working fine (as you can see!) and I have checked the network settings and all appears fine there as well.

Any ideas as to what is causing the problem?

The error message indicates that your web host ftp server might be down. I just tried and was able to reach the server, though of course I received a 530 wron password error. It may have been a not uncommon transient dns problem - check the ftp details in your network settings and try again.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks Bill

Service status on the Clara site says all is OK, (can't actually get to Clara "customer service" as its closed!) network settings are fine - still can't connect?

How did you know which server I was with? Just curious.

Comment

How did you know which server I was with?
        I read it from the error message you quoted...
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Use www.dns-stuff.com to check if you site can be reached, this is the best way of checking availablity etc

A Ping from DNS Stuff reveals

Pinging ftp.natco-online.com [195.8.66.1]:

Ping #1: Got reply from 195.8.66.1 in 75ms [TTL=52]
          Ping #2: Got reply from 195.8.66.1 in 75ms [TTL=52]
          Ping #3: Got reply from 195.8.66.1 in 74ms [TTL=52]
          Ping #4: Got reply from 195.8.66.1 in 74ms [TTL=52]

Done pinging ftp.natco-online.com!

Comment

Hi Jo

yes, I have checked with Clara and there is no problem at their end so it must be an Actinic software issue at this end - do you have any idea why I cannot connect - no settings have changed and it was working fine yesterday morning when I downloaded orders - now I cannot download orders or upload site changes? Help!

Comment

post your network settings (without username/password) please

Comment

Hi Jo

Settings as follows:

SERVER DETAILS
                Catalog URL - http://www.natco-online.com/acatalog/
                CGI BIN URL- http://www.natco-online.com/cgi-bin
                Codebase - ./
                Path from CGI BIN to acatalog Directory - ../acatalog/

FTP DETAILS
                Server Host - natco-online.com (also tried <www.natco-online.com> as advised by Clara but it made no difference)
                Username - *************
                Password - ****************
                Path from CGI BIN to acatalog Directory as Viewed by FTP server (leave blank unless advised) - /public/www/acatalog/
                Use passive FTP transfers - TICKED

Under <Common Settings> I also have <Ignore Passive Transfer Errors> box ticked and <relay.clara.net> as Mail(SMTP) Server.

The website URL is http://www.natco-online.com.

When doing an upload I get the above error message at the point where it reaches <checking search indices>.

Any suggestions would be useful as I have not been able to download orders for 2 days now and I am getting a bit of a backlog!!

Regards
                Derek

Comment

ftp problem

If you are runnning a firewall like ZoneAlarm, shut it down, then try up or downloading. If this works you can establish which configuration of ZoneAlarm is blocking your connection by process of elimination.
                  If your using the standard Windows XP firewall you can try shutting this down temporarily but it is unlikely to be the cause.
                  If neither of these are causing the problem then try the following:

Clear the "Use Passive FTP Transfers" box and also the "Path from CGI BIN to acatalog Directory as Viewed by FTP server" box.
                  Add the final forward slash to your CGI-BIN URL.
                  Log into your Domain Management Suite at Clara and copy the default ftp address into your Network Setup then run the test.
                  Mark

Comment

Hi Mark

It was the firewall after all. I unchecked the "Use Passive FTP transfers" which alllowed me to run a test which it would not before. I was then able to download but not upload.

I then turned off the Windows Personal Firewall which enabled the system to refresh the site and everything worked after that. It appears that something has happened in the computer system settings here (not Actinic) and I cannot access the site via FTP when the firewall is on. I have even added Catalog to the firewall exceptions but it still wont allow it. Oh well, at least its working again, I just have to disable the firewall every time I want to retrieve orders.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Comment

Firewall

It sounds like you are running Windows XP and unfortunately I don't know much about their Personal Firewall, however, you should not have to disable it every time you download. You need to find the correct configuration, trial and error mostly.
                      I had this problem with zonealarm originally and it took around an hour of messing about before I achieved some harmony between the two programmes.
                      Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X