Checkout pages & nav bar discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checkout pages & nav bar discussion

Been looking at some aspects of our favourite software, todays topic is the nav bars. Well rather, the default settings of them.

What's yer problem now George? I hear you say.

Two issues.

I've always been a little concerned/confused as to why they (main navigation bar) disappear when you initially enter the checkout pages. I know it can be edited to include these (act order or something?) but just wondered if there was a reason that I cannot see? At least maybe being able to escape and adjust/add to an order before hitting the card detail pages.

My other query is that due to the (default) navigation bars being different between brochure and catalogue sometimes its almost like two 'sites have been joined together. I'm hoping I get some back-up from learned members of the forum on this but I'm thinking familiarity is `good` and keeping the same (main) nav bars throughout a website is surely something to aim for?

Hardhat on. In trench.
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

My other query is that due to the (default) navigation bars being different between brochure and catalogue sometimes its almost like two 'sites have been joined together
    Agree with you on this one - my view is that they should be the same all the way through.

Comment

I think one thing that does need to be addressed is the inclusion of brochure page links in the catalog pages, I have started to create pages using fragments within catalog and ignoring brochurepages completely to get round this. I also prefer to see a site open at acatalog/index

It seems that brochure pages were a quick little add in that wasn't properly thought through, like combining pagenames/link text and adding decent page titles. Lets hope or should I add a wish for v8

I'm not fussed about seeing product nav in the checkout I prefer a checkout to be simple,

Comment

Reading this fired a synapse at the back of my cranium - the developers added a fix into 7.0.6 ( I think - it's worth trying it in 7.0.5) where the NETQUOTEVAR:FOOTERGUIDE variable, and all the individual NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBWHATEVER icons will work in the BrochurePrimary template.

They didn't really tell anyone they had done it - so it wasn't widely publicised. Anyway - try it out - it does work.

Comment

Hi Chris

I don't quite understand what you mean. Can you explain a bit more?

One of the first things I noticed about Actinic was the confusing navigation bar, how it changes order and composition depending on which page you happen to be in. I hve taken over a previous web designer's work and have three differing navigation bars.

Most websites nowadays keep the same navigation bar throughout the website and surely this should be the default for Actinic.

I am sure it must confuse potential buyers.

Richard

Comment

Hi George,

I'm absolutely with you on this one. I firmly believe the standard Actinic templates should keep all top navigation the same throughout all areas on the site - across brochure, catalog and checkout pages. The onus should be for the user to change this only if they have a good reason, rather than the user having to change this to a more standard format as it stands at present.

Having the top nav the same throughout is very much standard nowadays and is what most users will expect. I guess Actinic don't agree though - I've just looked on the main Actinic site. Top navigation stays the same until you navigate to their online shop - then it disappears!!
            Susan.

www.CardsAtYourFingertips.co.uk
            Innovative and Original greetings cards for all occasions

Comment

Thanks for your comments.

I agree with these wholeheartedly, and you should find that the navigation bars will all behave consistently in future versions of Actinic.

Comment

Including V8 Mr Dicken?

That would mean I can bin my next project, lol.

PS: Is there a Smart theme again in V8?

No harm in askin' I suppose...
                Football Heaven

Comment

George,

I can confirm that for you, the 'Smart' theme is in v8.

Kind regards,
                  Bruce King
                  SellerDeck

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
                    Thanks for your comments.

I agree with these wholeheartedly, and you should find that the navigation bars will all behave consistently in future versions of Actinic.
                    I'm thinking this is a major improvement. Just wish I knew if its worth modifying mine at the moment or just hanging on 'til V8. Any erm, cough, clues folks?
                    Football Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
                      Reading this fired a synapse at the back of my cranium - the developers added a fix into 7.0.6 ( I think - it's worth trying it in 7.0.5) where the NETQUOTEVAR:FOOTERGUIDE variable, and all the individual NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBWHATEVER icons will work in the BrochurePrimary template.

They didn't really tell anyone they had done it - so it wasn't widely publicised. Anyway - try it out - it does work.
                      Yep, it works, my main reason for upgrading from 7.0.2. Well done developer people.
                      Football Heaven

Comment

Working...
                      X