meta tags and descriptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

meta tags and descriptions

Hi I have been reading threads on page optimisation etc for google and read some threads on meta tags etc but they got a bit technical, hence this new post. All my sections have keywords and meta tages and descriptions but when i view the pages theses do not seem to appear in the display at the top of the screen for any pages other than my home pages. www.littleeskimo.co.uk however if I look at our competitors who seem to get good google rankings all their pages displays keywords etc at the top. (I'm sorry I don't know what this is called )

Is there some code I should be checking that will ensure these meta tags etc are being displayed and used by google - I spent hours typing them in I'd really like them to be of use!!
    Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

The text at the top is the 'Title' and taken from the Title meta tag.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thank you .

So in actinic where is this data held - for my sections I have meta tag keywords and meta descriptions - do I need to have this meta title information elsewhere? and does it help in getting listed within natural search?
      Donna

Comment

The vast majority of spiders ignore keyword and description tags.

By all means add them in as they don't do any harm,but there are better ways to spend your time on.

read Brians post in this thread, http://community.actinic.com/showthr...893#post104893

post number 6

Comment

Thanks I have read that through and was pleased to see that some of the basics I've done!! Some of our image titles are not great so i will look to change these.

There are some technical things I don't really understand but I shall post the questions within the other link. Thanks for your help.
          Donna

Comment

Hi Donna,

the ability to directly edit the page titles meta tags is new in V7. I would only include the keywords specific to that page though.

See: http://www.actinic.co.uk/v7/last.htm

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Ahhh - always wondered what that was for mine are all blank I shall start compiling them now. I shall try to keep them specific as you suggest. Thansk for all your help D
              Donna

Comment

When they are blank then Actinic automatically uses the section name - which is what you have on your site..

Comment

This is why you should never let marketing people loose on a website!! I am starting to change them all now let's hope it will help with google as it is so frustrating at the moment. Even when we were indexed we still didn't come up high in then rankings.
                  Donna

Comment

Working...
                  X