CGI-BIN explained in laywoman's terms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGI-BIN explained in laywoman's terms

I am trying to upload my website to my domain, but i am having great difficulties understanding the CGI-BIN stuff.

Could someone kindly explain to me in laywoman's talk what I need to do.

many thanks in advance

Karen

The cgi-bin is simply a folder who's main task in life is the container for scripts that need to execute on the server, as opposed to html files which simply get read.

You would need to speak with your host on any restrictions that they might place on cgi script operations, but general rule of thumb is to create a folder within your public_html or documents folder (again specific to the host you use) called cgi-bin.

Make sure this folder is permission set to 0755 (ftp applications can do this)

and then when you upload from Actinic, make sure your network file points cgi-bin to the folder you just created.

Hope that helps.

Comment

me again......

Many, many thanks for that – very well explained – so ….

I contacted my ISP and they told me that I have to set up in the root directory a folder called cgi-bin

I did that, uploaded my stuff………….

….. but now I have more problems…..

the following error message when I clicked on “test”

<<If you have never uploaded your catalog to the web site, try a 'CGI Script ID Number' of 2. If you have already uploaded your catalog at least once, ignore this message.>>

then …….

<<Actinic is not able to run the CGI scripts on the server. It appears as if the scripts are not installed. The most likely cause is that you have an incorrect CGI-BIN URL. If you've never uploaded the site, then you should do it before a download of orders. If you've uploaded the site ever, then Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to review your web site configuration>>

then the following error message…..

<< Actinic is not able to run the CGI scripts on the server. It appears as if the scripts are not installed. The most likely cause is that you have an incorrect CGI-BIN URL. If you've never uploaded the site, then you should do it before a download of orders. If you've uploaded the site ever, then Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to review your web site configuration.>>

please could you explain again in simple laywoman’s terms what I need to do now?

Yours ever, ever, so grateful

Karen

Comment

Initially you need to run the Test under Network Settings, it will indicate what parts of your setup may be incorrect. You can then search the forum for network settings for your host and compare what you have with what others are using on the same host.

You can also check the cgi-bin folder permissions using an FTP client. You will also find lots of information on this as well if you search for folder permissions.

If you still can't figure out the settings then you can export your settings to a text file and post here for comment. (Remove usernames and passwords first)

Comment

hey..... thanx for that!

I have now one working site, however, I am only able to get it to work withought SSL.....

I guess this is work in progress.

Karen

Comment

When a site hostname.domainname.tld combination uses both the http and https then it is a very simple matter to achieve, but the issue comes when the physical pathways for the https and http differ significantly, i.e.

path ftp ssl storage space maybe:

/shared-hostname/customername/public_html/

Where as your non ssl storage space could be:

/public_html/

If the ftp space is not associated with both, then issues occur, which is where the fast hosts (most prom) issues are seen within this forum.

If you can say who the host is, and the domain name hostname in question, then someone using the same system may be able to assist you more precisely

Comment

Working...
            X