Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

email site to a friend?

Hi
    I'd like to be able to set up a function on my site that allows visitors to email the site to a friend, but I don't know how to do it.
    I've got some code from a resource website but I don't know where to put it.
    I know I sound a bit thick but I've never messed about with the templates or html code in them cos I don't really know what I'm doing.
    So can anyone help with some advice on how to do this?
    Julie
    www.toys-to-you.co.uk
    Toys with Integrity

The main templates to appear on all pages are Act_Primary.html and Act_BrochurePrimary.html found in the root of the site1 folder

There is also some code in the advanced user guide (download from the main actinic site) which allows you to place an email link against a product so the email links straight back to the product of interest whichmay be of use

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

To save you looking you can add the following into your product templates (Design | Options | Layouts and click edit against the product layouts)

Code:
      To tell a friend about this product enter their Email address<br />
      <input type=text value="" size=40 onchange="var thisloc=location.href + '#NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTANCHOR'; if (this.value != '') {		location.href='mailto:' + this.value +'?subject=Take a look at NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME&body=I saw' + thisloc + ' and thought you would be interested.'
      		}
      ">
          <input type=button value="OK">

Bikster

Comment

That's great Jont thanks for posting that code and making it so much easier for me!
        I'll give it a try over the weekend.
        julie
        www.toys-to-you.co.uk
        Toys with Integrity

Comment

No problem, just be wary about copying and pasting as the forum can munge the code sometimes - should be OK but worth cross checking the Advanced User Guide also

Bikster

Comment

Think I might be a bit thick!!

Hi Jont
            Managed to copy and paste the code ok but I had no idea where to actually put in within the "edit product layouts" page which came up.
            So I tried it just to see what would happen and I stuck the code at the bottom of the page and it provided what I you said it would but instead of putting it against each item it stuck a whole list of "email to a friend" boxes at the top of the page!
            Sorry to be a bit thick, but do you by any chance know where I should put the code on the page of html?
            Thanks for all your help.
            julie
            http://www.toys-to-you.co.uk
            Toys with Integrity

Comment

Julie,

Try this article on the Knowledge Base http://knowledge.actinic.com/acatalo...ut.html#aKB376 . Note, you need to add the code immediately after NETQUOTEVAR:TEMPLATEENDXML .

Kind regards,
              Bruce King
              SellerDeck

Comment

Yet another question!!

Thanks for info Bruce I put the code in exactly where you said and it worked a dream!!
                Only one problem (there is always a problem with me!!) when you send an email it tells the friend where to go to view the product but you can't just click on the info as a hyperlink, instead they have to copy and paste it into their search bar.
                Is there anyway to change the code so it comes up with a hyperlink?
                Or have I just done it wrong.
                Thanks for all your help guys it is MUCH appreciated. I so wish I'd found this community a year ago.
                julie
                http://www.toys-to-you.co.uk
                Toys with Integrity

Comment

but you can't just click on the info as a hyperlink, instead they have to copy and paste it into their search bar.
                  Just tried it and it worked as a clickable link for me

Comment

Julie,

It appears as a non clickable link before you send the email to the desired person. Once the email is received, it is a clickable link.
                    I saw http://www.toys-to-you.co.uk/acatalo...andUp.html#a33 and thought you would be interested
                    Kind regards,
                    Bruce King
                    SellerDeck

Comment

Hi there

One thing to add upon what Bruce has mentioned, is that if the customer email client software is set to plain text, then you will get a non clickable link. For this, there is no way around it, I'm afraid.

Kind Regards
                      Nadeem Rasool
                      SellerDeck Development

Comment

Thanks!!

Thanks to all of you who helped me.
                        I've got it up and running now.
                        Take care.
                        julie
                        www.toys-to-you.co.uk
                        Toys with Integrity

Comment