Looking after multiple sites from single PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking after multiple sites from single PC

Is it possible to look after multiple Actinic V7 sites from a single PC ?

If so, how?

You'd need Developer for that, then you can have unlimited Actinic sites.

http://www.actinic.co.uk/products/developer.htm
    David
    Mandrake Press Ltd

<a href="http://www.mandrake-press.co.uk" target="_blank">www.mandrake-press.co.uk</a>

Comment

Not exactly true. You can use developer if you want lots of stores, but you can also run multiple instances of catalog and business on one PC too.

Could you explain in more detail your requirement?

Comment

Multiple Sites revisited

I have at least two sites and shortly to be 3 each with their own individual licenced copies of Actinic.

I can manage one site from home via its installed copy of Actinic, but I want to manage the three, which means add items, collect orders etc for any site of my choice

I wouldn't imagine I could install three different actinics on the same machine, so do I have to start using Backups and Restores to bring back the site I need or is there another way around this.

Regards

Dave

Comment

you have one copy of actinic and then you add sites within in. Go to the file menu, there's an option there, new new site or licence new site. Thus you just swap from one site to the other, with site1 folder, site2 folder etc.

All sites within one version will always be maintained at the same patch level, and you can have v6,7 and 8 all on one PC

Comment

I didn't know you could do that. Thanks Jo
            David
            Mandrake Press Ltd

<a href="http://www.mandrake-press.co.uk" target="_blank">www.mandrake-press.co.uk</a>

Comment

Its funny...

alot of developers bought developer because it was called developer - with me so far.

but Developer isn't really of any advantage to a developer unless you offer fully managed sites (ie download orders and maintain products) There's nothing in developer that isn't in catalog or business.

I have never bought it as I prefer to buy my clients their own copy and then develop within it and then release the full project to the client.

I'd be willing to put money on V8 not having developer called developer. The ability to run multiple shops from one copy of actinic will still be there but it won't be called developer.

Comment

multiple sites

Jo your last comment can make sense if you’re a developer building sites for other people and deploying the new Actinic site and software on the customers PC. But “if” Dave is the owner of a company running multiple sites then
                wouldn’t it be silly for him to buy individual license keys to manage multiple sites?
                If he’s managing all the sites from his one PC, Developer would make it much more cost effective and easier.
                As well upgrades would be easier with only the cost of only one upgrade key, not three.

Developer is Priced at £1,468.75 …giving you the ability to have multiple Actinic Business stores
                without purchasing additional keys when you want to start a new site / license a new site.
                Three business keys purchased separately are £2816.49, a main reason to just buy Developer in my opinion

Although if you’re using three Catalog’s it is cheaper at £1335.99,
                just more of a hassle to upgrade and maintain 3 keys at an upgrade cost of £881.25.
                instead of one Developer key …price not listed on web?...Call Actinic.
                As well the difference here of £132 compared to Developer is well worth all the business features you’ll have
                for your 3 sites, as compared to the catalog features:
                - v7 catalog to v7 business features: http://www.actinic.co.uk/v7/acatalog/v7_business9.html

This will make even more sense economically if you add more sites.
                Depending if you have Catalog or Business, you could upgrade one key to get developer:
                http://www.actinic.co.uk/shop/acatal..._Upgrades.html
                David Eldridge
                Sure Solutions Inc.
                Phone: 732-528-7635 ext# 201
                E-mail: david@suresolutionsinc.com

Web sites: www.buythisdesign.com / www.suresolutionsinc.com

Comment

David, that is what Jo is saying.....

Originally posted by pinbrook
                  but Developer isn't really of any advantage to a developer unless you offer fully managed sites (ie download orders and maintain products)
                  Originally posted by nenenaiad
                  I want to manage the three, which means add items, collect orders etc for any site of my choice
                  as Dave has the 2 (soon to be 3 sites) there is a cut off point where developer becomes a better option

Bikster
                  SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Yep i was originally answering nenenaiad's question about how he wouldmanage 3 sites on one PC. Post 2 said he should purchase developer which wasn't the complete answer. Nenenaiad further clarified to say he had 3 sites with separate licences.

I then went on to whitter about "developer" not really being a tool for developers but more suited to someone who runs several shops.

As a developer you often to have to install actinic at the clients premises assuming the client will manage the shop post development, thus a licence needs to be purchased for the client as your developer licence does not cover their install.

Comment

Managing multiple sites - revisited

Hi,

Many thanks to pinbrook for that.

When I first purchased Actinic I did so on the basis that I needed an e-commerce site for a particular customer, and subsequently had another customer with a similar requirement. I fully expected that they would manage these themselves, but it has been shown that they do not have the expertise and therefore would prefer me to manage them.
                      Obviously it is cheaper to buy a single copy of Actinic initially than go for the Developers edition and even with three copies I am no where near the Developers edition cost.

Regards & Thanks

Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X