Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thumb nail for compct product rows

Hi All

I want to add a thumbnail to my compact product rows, not much of an issue except i can not resize the image to 25 pixels because the image is from a netquotevar, which uses the image at what ever size i created.

does anyone know how i can still use the standard image for my product in compact product rows template and resize it, i guess it would probably mean a custom var but need a bit of guidance

hope someone can help
    Darren

i would use a batch processor to resize the images - the reason being download time if you have a load of on the fly resizing going on you will increase page load time.

additionally, how much value is there going to be to the visitor in a 25 px image?

Comment

Hi Jo

It is only for a few products, it is so that when people click on the imgage they get the info box with the larger image come up.

I am happy to create a unigue set of thumbnails of only 25px and uploading these as additional files but am having trouble working out how to show these images when using compact product rows layout

if you look here you will see where i am using them
      http://kitesrus.co.uk/acatalog/winds...s_sleeves.html
      then imagine a small image at the start, click on it up comes the extra info with all the details on sizes e.t.c

hope this helps a bit
      Cheers
      Darren

Comment

You seem to want these thumbnails to be clickable to open the Extended Info popup page.

Both the main product and the Extended Info page can have their own images - this is standard Actinic operation.

In that case just scale down your images to the right size in an image processing program (Photoshop, etc), save them to a different name and use these tiny ones as the normal product image.

Then you create an Extended Info page using the original full size image and use Display by / Clicking Product Image. No Customvars or additional files needed.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Norman

I know i can do it the same way you have described but when i then do a shopzilla, froogle or other feed it will then give the image link to the small image which is why i want to be able to use small images this way and not the product image as it will effect my feed

i hope this make sense

Cheers
          Darren

Comment

A possibility for you.
            Name the thumbnail images as XXXX_tn.jpg and the full-size images as XXXX_fs.jpg - it would then be a simple procedure to open your froogle or shopzilla feed and do a search and replace _tn for _fs or visa versa prior to submission.

NB - I thought Shopzilla and Froogle both automatically scaled images to suit..?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion

that would be a easy way around it.

Also they do size to suit but if they are too small they either do not show or look really poor

Cheers
              Darren

Comment

You can keep the big images for Froogle and still have small thumbnails showing.

Actinic lets you also define a Thumbnail image. This is intended for use in the Search and Checkout, but can be put to use in the product pages.

To use this, make your tiny images using names of your choosing and add them in via Product / Details / General / Thumbnail.

Use a normal size image for the Product Image.

No edit the Product Template you use for such items and replace

NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTIMAGE

with

<!-- NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTIMAGE -->NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTTHUMBNAILIMAGE

and now the big image will be available to Froogle but won't show on the product, as the small Thumbnail will be used instead.

Comment

Thanks norman

will give this a go later, working on the quick fill at mo

Cheers
                  Darren

Comment

Struggling with the quick fill so back to this

i have managed to get that to work, however now what i am need to do is make this image clickable to bring up the extra info box. If you see the link below you can see what i am after, at present you click on the main/product header image and the extra info box comes up.

http://www.kitesrus.co.uk/acatalog/w..._spinners.html

what i want to do is be able to click the thumbnail and this will also bring up this box. Then i can reduce the amount of text in the main header and write more specific information for each product

Cheers for you help
                    Darren

Comment

Jam on it, eh! Jam it is, but the jam has a very complicated recipie!

You have to sacrifice the Extended Info Button method of opening a popup page.
                      We can munge it so that it starts the popup link around the Thumbnail.

You have to do the following:-

Go to Design / Options / Shop Defaults / Extended Info and check "Image:".
                      Also select an image for this, you can use magnify.gif from Site1 or another image
                      of your choosing. It's just a dummy image - it won't be shown.

Now replace Act_ExtendedInfoButtonImage.html with the following

Code:
                      <!-- ExtendedInfoButtonImage HTML begin -->
                      <!-- This template is used for the Extended Info button image. -->

<A HREF="NETQUOTEVAR:LINK">
                      <!-- NETQUOTEVAR:BUTTONIMG" NETQUOTEVAR:BUTTONNAME NETQUOTEVAR:IMAGEWIDTH NETQUOTEVAR:IMAGEHEIGHT --> 

<!-- This template is used for the Extended Info button image. -->
                      <!-- ExtendedInfoButtonImage HTML end -->
                      Then, edit your Thumnail Image Product Template

Delete the existing fragment

NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOBUTTON

Replace NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTIMAGE with

Code:
                      NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOBUTTON <!-- NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTIMAGE --> NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTTHUMBNAILIMAGE</a>
                      And in these Product Details / Extended Info / Display By:, check Extended Info Button. Don't check Clicking Product Image or Text Link.

The Extended Info Button method shouldn't be used for opening the popup on any normal products. Use Clicking Product Image or Text Link instead.

Comment

Thanks Norman

I do not think i have had such personal service in a long time. I appreciate all your help.

Will give it a go a bit later

Cheers
                        Darren

Comment

Hi Norman - always with Jam

Thanks for your help, got it sorted, how do you learn to munge code like that and come up with the right result

Your a star
                          Cheers
                          Darren

Comment

Thirty-odd years of experience helps, I guess.

Apart from that I had already worked out a similar tweak so that my Upsell patch would work.

Life would be so much easier of all NETQUOTEVAR's worked everywhere they were in scope.

Comment

Working...
                            X