Setting up a test environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up a test environment

I'd be interested to hear experienced developers' preferences for setting up a test environment, including the transaction processor (e.g. Secure Trading). If no-one can suggest anything better, my approach will be to upload the new pages to a test directory on my host, then upload to the live domain directory when I'm happy.

The Advanced Guide documents everything you need to do to set up your own system as a test server (installing Apache, Perl, WarFTPd). You can then upload, run the catalog, search, make orders and download them all from your own system.

There's nothing to stop your system connecting with an external PSP.

The only bit that's not implemented is the local SMTP server for sending the e-mails. I just stick the text "dummy" into the Network Settings / SMTP Server and let Actinic fail to connect. However you can probably set the network settings to use an external Authenticated SMTP server that you have access too.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks, Norman. I'll think about installing Apache, etc., on my own system, or better still on a spare PC. I inherited one that was flaky with Windows, and have been thinking about wiping it clean and installing Linux. However, I have far too many non-computer-related projects fighting for my attention. Don't think I have time to fit in a new learning curve....

Comment

Working...
      X