ASCII or Binary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASCII or Binary

Is it possible to for actinic to transfer the PL files in binary and not ascii mode.

According to Fasthosts the reason I cant upload my .pl files is that the end og line retturn character is be mis-interperated.

All sound a bit dodgy to me as Ive two other uNIX based sites without similar problems.

Quote: "The problem is certainly to do with Windows style carraige returns.

Currently, if you upload a file using "ascii" transfers, all carraige returns are modified to windows "\r" type returns.

Switching to binary mode file transfer in your ftp client will resolve this and the file will upload correctly."

Hi there,

Actinic has not got the ability to upload perl or .pl files using 'binary' mode neither can this be set in Actinic.

Actinic by default uploads all it's file using ASCII mode. It is essential for Actinic to use ASCII mode of transfer, inorder for Actinic to work successfully.

The mode of transfer can however be changed by the hosting company at the server side.

Hope this helps
    Thank You
    Menar Khan

Comment

So are FastHosts pulling a fast one here?

Does anybody use their Linux hosting accounts?

Comment

The Perl files must be uploaded in ASCII rather than Binary or else the Perl files will not execute on the server. You will get an error message that says something like 'The script has misbehaved by not returning a complete set of headers'.

Fasthosts, in this instance, are completely wrong. There must be another reason.

Comment

Just been uploading Actinic 6 to fasthosts on a linux box. I have not managed to get it working with the secure server but the java version seems ok. Not linked into the main site yet as I have a bit of tweaking left to do but its at

Pirates Hoard online shop if you want to have a look

Comment

I would suggest that you need the ability to add more mime
            types to your account on that web server
            Best Regards,
            John King
            Web Master - BizPlus2000.com
            Web Hosting and Design for Today's Internet!
            Visit <a href="http://bizplus2000.com">BizPlus2000.com</a>

Comment

Working...
            X