Hoovering (no, not hovering)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoovering (no, not hovering)

Ever wish Actinic could delete stuff from your webspace as you delete them from the catalog? ie product images

I'm a bit nervous to do a `clean` upload as I've a number of images (logo's etc) and probably script bits that won't upload with a 'site refresh. Hmmm.
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Aye - pain in the bum.

The quickest solution is to delete out everything then hold on to your hat as you hope for a full site upload... there should be no reason why images and the like are not uploaded again.

Another option could be to try a utility that allows you to compare local folders with remote folders to see which files on the server are now orphaned

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

You could ftp and rename the online acatalog folder - then do an upload - at least then you can compare differences afterwards should something not work.

Comment

If you have stray files that don't upload automatically then use Advanced>Additional Files to include them in your upload.

At least that way you know that you can trash the whole lot and refresh.

Comment

Originally posted by wfl
          If you have stray files that don't upload automatically then use Advanced>Additional Files to include them in your upload.

At least that way you know that you can trash the whole lot and refresh.
          For me its more a case of actually missing any files to upload, as opposed to how to upload them.
          Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

George

That is what I meant. Don't rely upon manually uploaded files (images, scripts, text, why) as part of your actinic store. Simply make sure that all such files are in your additional files list and they will always be uploaded.

If it is a case of you not knowing what you have uploaded then that is something else. You will probably have to do a "test" upload or an upload to a separate location and do a compare.

On the other hand wait until 02:00 on a Monday morning. Rename your acatalog folder. Upload your site and then go through it looking for what doesn't work.

You can easily print or add to the upload list. There is a table called Additional Files in the database.

Comment

Hi George

Did you ever manage to clean up your folder etc on your server - if yes - how did you do it and was it trouble free.

I am trying to do it now and any pointers would be great.

Cheers
              Ian
              Commercial Cleaning Cambridgeshire

Comment

the best way to do this is to

1 download all the images from acatalog folder, then put this folder somewhere separate on your PC as a backup copy.

2 delete said images from acatalog

3 then do an actinic upload.

if there are any missing images you can go to the folder you saved on your pc and copy them to your actinic site1 folder, and reupload

Comment

Originally posted by Legends
                  Did you ever manage to clean up your folder
                  George cleaning up his act? That'll be the day

Bikster
                  SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

2 am on Monday morning? wfl to George

Just an aside, nothing much to do with thread, but 2 am on Monday morning is the busiest time for my business! I get more sales on Mondays than any other day of the week, and I get more orders during the late evening/early morning than during the day. So if I were messing around with my site files I would avoid that time - Fridays and Saturdays are my quieter times.

Sarah

Comment

Working...
                    X