Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

email 101 - recommendations

Hi,

Apologies if this should be in initial config forum. Ditto, if it's already been covered elsewhere.

I am just about to upload my website to a hosting company, and am a bit confused as to what my best email options are.

Over recent years I've fallen into the habit of using webmail (Yahoo etc) instead of an email client (Eudora etc). With respect to Actinic, can I continue to use webmail or am I better off reverting back to a proper email client? Is a webmail solution easy to implement? And, if I do use webmail, are there any drawbacks vis a vis Actinic's functionality?

What solution do most people use? Or, put another way, what works best in practice?

Finally, are there any obvious setting-up pitfalls that I should be looking out for?

TIA

Paul

Paul,

The email settings within Actinic control how the Actinic programme will send mail (to the customer confirming placement of an order, to you telling you there is an order to download, the Contact Us form when it is filled in) and should be the mail service provided by your web host).

If your webhost offer a webmail access facility (1&1 does) then you can use that to access your personal mailbox(es) - but this is no relation at all to the email settings you supply in Actinic Network Settings.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks Bill - I said I was confused : )

Comment

Enough info Paul - or are you still confused?
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Bill,

I've just re-read my reply to you and realised that it can be read two ways. Oops, no irony was intended! Your answer was very helpful, and I'm much less confused now.

Cheers.

Paul

Comment

If your webhost offer a webmail access facility (1&1 does)
            You can access webmail via a browser I don't think it is dependant on whether your host provides it.

For example www.mail2web.com is a webmail service, you just have to feed it your email address and password.

There are others that offer this service, sometimes you have to provide it with your mailbox too ie mail.yourdomain.com

Comment

Working...
            X