Newbie problem - How to manually transfer files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie problem - How to manually transfer files

For some reason I cannot get FTP to work, its probably my end.

But in the mean time, can I just copy the generated files over to my server.

If I can which files ?? and where to.

Don't copy files across manually. use actinic to 'update' or 'refresh' the website.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Trouble is both options require FTP to be working.

There must be another way.

Comment

I beleive Advanced|Generate Website and Advanced|Generate Scripts should generate a version of the site that can be copied onto your test server. (Read the information at the end of the generation of the scripts - it tells you what files are required to be put where) However I don't think you will be able to download any orders - Actinic needs to have uploaded prior to downloading. I have not personally done this and it is not supported by Actinic (it says it is included only for compatibility with earlier versions of Actinic)

Your best bet is to resolve your problem with FTP on your test server first.

Comment

Advanced|Generate Scripts gives the .pl files etc that need to be copied over and there paths.

But Advanced|Generate Web site does not give a list of files. Is it, just copy over the SiteHTML directory contents into the acatalog directory on the server.

I would have thought you would have had no need to use FTP, especially if you were using Actinic as a standalone piece of software on the computer which runs the server.

Comment

Originally posted by gray_bale
            ...But Advanced|Generate Web site does not give a list of files. Is it, just copy over the SiteHTML directory contents into the acatalog directory on the server...
            Yes - that's what I would expect. (remember this is not the intended way to load and is not supported by Actinic - and unless ftp is working in Actinic you will not be able to download orders.

...I would have thought you would have had no need to use FTP, especially if you were using Actinic as a standalone piece of software on the computer which runs the server...
            Unfortunately not so - Actinic manages the files by their upload dates/times - hence if it doesn't do the upload it will not be aware of the files on the server.

If you are having problems getting FTP to work you could start another thread asking related questions - someone may well be able to assist.

Comment

I might be dropping myself into it, showing off my incompetency. But.

I do not have a FTP server only a HTTP (Apache) server.

How can I transfer/update using HTTP.

Comment

I dont know how it can be achieved with http. But why not search around for a free FTP server (some paople use WarFTP but that site seems to be down now) - maybe:
                http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/
                Install and set up the FTP server and run a test in Actinic Network Settings.

Comment

I might be dropping myself into it, showing off my incompetency. But.

I do not have a FTP server only a HTTP (Apache) server.

How can I transfer/update using HTTP.
                  i am confused by this thread....

why are you trying to upload manually using an FTP package, why don;t you use Actinic's inbuilt upload, Blue arrow on the toolbar, or web Menu, update / refresh

within Network settings, if you don't have use enhanded FTP ticked then actinic uploads using http...

or have i missed the point ?

Comment

The problem I have, be it using the FTP or HTTP method of uploading.

I keep getting errors relating to CGI-BIN. The error message says its either the CGI-BIN directory does not exist or I do not have priviliges.

Now as I am in control of the priviliges, these are set to read write etc etc.

So it must be the CGI-BIN does not exist.

In setting up 'network setup' it gives the impression that acatalog is a sub directory of CGI-BIN, as it asks for 'path from CGI-BIN to acatalog'.

Now my CGI-BIN is outside of the main webroot directory, so I cannot enter a reverse path, see following.

. . . . . . www
                    . . . . . . . I
                    . . I------------I
                    CGI-BIN . . . WEBROOT
                    . . . . . . . . . . . I
                    . . . . . . . . . acatalog

So what should I enter in 'Advanced Network Setup' for the 'Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog directory' ????

It also asks for the URL of the CGI-BIN, but its outside of the main webroot directory, so therefore its not directly accessible from a URL.

What should I enter here then ???

But anyhow I now have managed to get as far as this error message

'An error ocurred while attempting to change permissions of the file ActinicBasicCgiTest.pl
                    The FTP server returned a reply code of 504
                    The current permissions of the file are 0644 and the require permissions are 0755'

Anybody any ideas ???

Comment

Actinic needs to have a path to the cgi-bin to be able to load the scripts to it. Normally (although not always) the cgi-bin is at the same level as acatalog. ie:
                      root
                      -acatalog
                      -cgi-bin

Is your test server Linux or Windows?
                      The Advanced User Guide in Appendix A also details how to setup a test server that may be useful for you.

If you want to test out a site or the functionality of Actinic you might want to consider registering for a trial and using the Actinic trial server.

Comment

Windows XP

Comment

If you do a search on the forum you will find a number of posts relating to setting up IIS for Actinic which you will find useful. You will also notice that many people have found it difficult to do, hence you may wish to consider testing on Linux as it's much easier to set up or as I mentioned earlier register for a trial with Actinic and use their test server.

Comment

Working...
                          X