5 to 7 without a snapshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 to 7 without a snapshot

I have a v5 site which i am upgrading to v7.

the v5 site will not create a snapshot so I thought I'd upgrade by just swapping over the site1 folders.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the smartest idea on the block as there are several html files new to v7 that my v5 doesn't have.

Act-popup, act-shopping-cart.xml being just 2 of the error messages I've seen.

I'm torn between starting over, as I feel sometimes it is easier in the long run to re-code a design than to try to upgrade it or changing to a v7 theme and then bring my v5 templates in (the later I'm sure is a recipe for disaster)

Any comments?

Start from afresh - especially if you are not the original designer!

I have just done extensive work on a site and the previous designers just did not think the same (would say as me but probably anyone else ) so spent way too much time getting back to a level playing field and trying to decipher what was going on.

With the new tricks available in v7 it is also a good time to be designing a new layout etc and for your client to be launching an "all new site" and not one that has been patched over the top .... budget allowing obviously

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks Jont, for making me face reality....

Comment

Working...
      X