X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thumbs.db - Forever a menace

Hi

I have read through the solutions for the fatal error:

(File ExportFiles.cpp, Line 284) - Archive error 13 - Extract selected files call failed
    Library error - Error creating file C:\Program Files\Actinic v7\Sites\Site1\CommonOCC\Thumbs.db ! has been caught.

and seem to be getting nowhere! I have transferred snapshots from my home computer to my work computer many times...this time I'm left frustrated.

I have read that I can unzip the acd file, but I can't. I have read that I can delete all of the Thumbs.db files by searching the computer...but I can't.

I spent hours working on this during the week and really don't wan to lose all the hard work.

I have even tried imprting the snapshot onto other computers and they have all worked fine.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
    Suzanne Jordan
    www.cookmatesouthwest.co.uk

Hi Suzanne. You will be able to open the acd file if you get hold of an old version of Winzip (version 7 works OK) - The newer versions sometimes don't work for some reason. PM me if you can't find it.

Comment

Still Trying

Hi Duncan

Thanks for the tip, I have found an old version and can now open the file....but I can't delete the thumbs.db file.

I despair!
      Suzanne Jordan

Comment

Can you perhaps extract everything else though into a new zip file, then rename it to acd?

Comment

Zip File issues

Hi Duncan

Thanks. I have now got a file called actinic.zip without the thumbs.db file in it, but how do I remane it to an .acd file?

Suzanne
          Suzanne Jordan

Comment

In windows just select the file and right click and select rename. (Not in Winzip)

Comment

Nope still wrong, now actinic.acd.zip
              Suzanne Jordan

Comment

You need to locate the zip file you created using windows explorer and rename it. It will just ask you if you wish to change the file type - you say yes.

Comment

In Windows Explorer you may need to navigate to the folder containing that file then go to Tools / Folder Options / View, and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" / OK. This will make it easier for you to alter file extensions.
                  Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                  Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks Guys, I have now successfully renamed the file using both your advice.

I now have a different fatal error message:

FATAL ERRORS
                    The selected file does not contain a Site group - it contains a user-selected import.

The only file that I didn't transfer was the offending thumbs.db file!

I'm no web-designer but even I can't believe I'm having so many problems doing something really simple that I have done a thousand times before......
                    Suzanne Jordan

Comment

If you fully extract the zip (acd) file you just created - does it contain folders or just files all in one folder? If all the files are in one folder then you wil need to backtrack and extract the files again from the original problem file whilst maintaining the structure.

Comment

If you have no luck it might be easier going to your original installation and creating another snapshot. (I presume you have Actinic on two machines in different locations)

Comment

Problem Solved!

If in doubt...and very confused. Uninstall actinic, reinstall snapshot and everything works.

Odd Though!

Thanks for all your help this morning!
                          Suzanne Jordan

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.

I was wondering if perhaps this was caused by maybe having a windows explorer view open that was displaying thumbnails in the Site1 directory at the same time as trying to import the snapshot - if so then windows explorer may have kept the Thumbs.db file locked and hence Actinic could not update the Thumbs.db file when it extracted the snapshot.

Strange thing is though, why would there be a Thumbs.db file in the snapshot at all anyway?

Comment

out of habit, I never "hide the extensions of known file types".

but as an extra note, you can always change the file extension from .acd to .zip etc but surrounding the new name in quotation marks - this will force the system to use the exact name you are typing
                              so to change actinic.zip to actinic.acd just rename the file to "actinic.acd" and make sure you include the quote marks.

kev

Comment

Working...
                              X