Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrade resulting in lost edit to perl files

Hi There

I'm new to this forum - though not new to Actinic. I have developed a site for a client, however we have slightly different versions running on our machines. So we were getting a error telling us this and saying that we needed to upgrade to the same version (Doh!). Having done this support told me to do a purge and refresh so solve the problem of incompatible versions of the perl files.

I've done this - however the perl files had been very slightly modified to allow image buttons on the checkout pages rather than buttons. Obviously the purge has deleted the perl files and replaced them with the default meaning this change has been lost.

Originally I found out how to do the edit to get the image buttons to work on this forum (I think!!) so I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, so that I can make the edit again. (don't really want to have to go back to buttons)

Many thanks
    Wayne Theisinger

The Web's just settling in. We got the tech, now let's put up something that matters.

Wayne - have you tried licensing a new site with the same license key - importing the snapshot you took prior to the upgrade and then copying and pasting any modified parts of the .pl files across?

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I've copied across all the perl files, but then we go back to error message about different versions - ie back where we started. I'm guessing that the perl files have changed, so that's why i'd like to redo the edit rather than use the original perl file (thereby hopefully avoiding the issue).

Your suggestion to copy and paste only what had changed would be great - if I knew which file I'd made the edit in (better documentation at my end would have saved me this problem).
      Wayne Theisinger

The Web's just settling in. We got the tech, now let's put up something that matters.

Comment

I've found a utility that compares text files for changes http://winmerge.sourceforge.net/ So what I'm hoping to do is compare the perl files - find the difference that is my edit and update the perl files on the upgrade.

Not sure if this is going to do the job but I've got high hopes - I'll post back both if I fix my problem - and also what the edit process is for people that want to replace the buttons with images.

thanks
        Wayne Theisinger

Comment

When you upgrade, and Actinic finds changes in the scripts, it creates a file in your new site folder that contains these changes.

The name of this file is ScriptUpgrades version number and letters.log, and my latest one read
          Upgrade of scripts from version 7.0.5.0.0.0.FJBA
          To version s7.0.6.0.0.0.GBGA

********************************************************************************

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Script Name: actinicextras.js

Original script: C:\Program Files\Actinic v7\Backup v7.0.5.0.0.0.FJBA\Site1\Theme\actinicextras.js
          User Modified script: C:\Program Files\Actinic v7\Backup v7.0.5.0.0.0.FJBA\Site1\actinicextras.js
          New Version Script: C:\Program Files\Actinic v7\Upgrade v7.0.GBGA\Site1\Theme\actinicextras.js

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Differences between old script and user modified script
          User inserted lines 53 to 136 in user-modified script before line 52 in original script.
          to see the code I had inserted, I went to line 52 in the old script and looked - because I had commented the code, to say what it did, when I added it, I was able to decide whether the changes were required in the new shop, or were covered by the upgrade.
          Bill
          www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
          Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
          BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
          Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
          VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
          Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Cool!! - that will help greatly - I'll check it out and see how I get on and post back. Many Thanks
            Wayne Theisinger

Comment

The details on making changes to the perl scripts for the images during checkout stages is explained in the advanced user guide, which details what and where you need, so this should cover you (if it was the same advice) for now and any future site/upgrade.

Comment

Thanks - that saved a lot of mucking around, Thanks to everyone who posted to help me sort this out.

(I did say I'd post how to do it, but being as it's in the advanced user guide there's not a lot of point now.)
                Wayne Theisinger

Comment

Working...
                X