Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verifying Google Site Map

Hi

I am trying to verify our www on google site map. When we enter the html verification page, we get a 404 error. I gather from the google help pages that this means that the web server needs some reconfiguration.

Googles suggestion when you get a 404 error, is to verify the www using the meta tags method, however this is also failing...

Since actinic does not use an index.html page, I have used the act_primary page. Is this correct?

Also, I have directed google to /acatalog/ directory. Is this correct?

Paul

Paul,

Where do you upload your sitemap to? If it is acatalog then that's where to point google - if it is the root of the site you need to point them to the root.

What do you mean Actinic doesn't use index.html? It uses whatever name YOU allocate to your main page - on my site that is index.html.

act_primary page is NOT correct. That is the main template file, but it never leaves your PC - the uploaded page(s) are built from a collection of templates, but only the completed page(s) are uploaded.

To see the page filenames - have a look in the SiteHTML folder.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

problem with verification

Hi,
      had the same problem you are describing. Changed the act-primary page and uploaded then checked source and I could see the meta data but it would not work. Then I tried for one of my other websites which does not use Actinic, just frontpage. Put the verification meta in and uploaded and Google found it straight away. So I created a blank page with nothing but the meta from Google saved as index.html and uploaded via ftp to the website I couldn't verify. Then tried to verify in Google. It found this file straight away. Then had to go back to Actinic make a change to index file and refresh website so that the correct index file was there rather than just a blank one.

Only seems to need to verify once and then you can upload sitemaps ok.

Dave
      David Sewell
      The Cotton Patch
      http://www.cottonpatch.co.uk
      http://www.rotarycuttershop.co.uk

Comment

When I verified mine I just had to upload a file to my root directory and tell google where it was in my sitemap settings - might have changed to be more complicated now though.

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
        X