Promotional codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promotional codes

Hi - I know that you can't use promotional codes in catalog - but are there any workarounds for this (other than upgrading to business).
    Got a problem looming.

Nick
    Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Obviously not.

Or maybe there is? Presumably I could add a field into the checkout asking for a promotional code, but with a message saying 'this will be deducted after checkout' or something.

Its not perfect but.......
    Has anyone else done that?

Nick

Comment

That could be prone to confusion even if you don't use PayPal or other PSP .... people would see the full total in the cart and in the receipt and are bound to then be on the phone wanting to know where their £10.00 discount is!! Proceed with care if you go down that route as could be Pandoras box waiting to be opened

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Obviously you're right John - but i've got to come up with something within the next 2 weeks and I don't have a spare £600 knocking around to upgrade.

Is it possible to add some to password protect a section?

(clutching at straws)

Nick

Comment

Hi Nick,

I am afraid that this is not possible in catalog version of the software. However, you may hide a section from your site but view the section by going to the actual URL. Meaning that the section exists on your site but is hidden and anyone can view it only by typing in the actual URL of the section.
          Regards,
          Sivakami.C

Actinic Software
          www.actinic.co.uk
          www.actinic.com
          http://knowledge.actinic.com/

Comment

Hi Sivakami,

Access to hidden sections would work fine for me, but i've just tried it and it doesn't work. For example this is hidden on my website, but when you type in the url you are greeted with a 'you are forbidden to view this page' message.

Have I misunderstood?

Nick

Comment

Nick

If you do find out a way around this - please post it. Have been trying to figure something out for a while....

Comment

Nick - have you tried uploading the section with it visible and then immediately hidding it and refreshing the site? Actinic tends to just remove the pages from the navigation but leaves them on the server - so you will probably need to generate first and then hide to remove!

Bikster

Comment

Yep - just uploaded section, refreshed, went for a shower, then hid section, re-uploaded. Computer still says no.

Ah well - going home to watch footie (wish I hadn't bothered). Will revisit this on Monday.

Nick
                  Last edited by Luddite; 03-Jul-2006, 08:45 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Nick,

I would have thought the solution would be to build the page, preview it, save off from the browser to a new name and add that page name to addtional files and mark the Actinic page as hide on website.

That way, the additional files entry will load the page even though it is not linked to the Actinic part of the site.
                    Bill
                    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Bill,
                      Thanks for trying to help me out here - unfortunately I havn't quite followed you.
                      By preview, do you mean preview from within Actinic, or temporarily upload to server?
                      Also, when you say 'save off from the browser to a new name' - do you mean do a save as from within ie?

Sorry for being so slow.

In a nutshell all I want to do is have a page that can't be navigated to from anywhere else on the site - i.e. only viewed by typing a url such as www.mysite.co.uk/offers.

Cheers - Nick

Comment

Bill is suggesting you preview the page from inside Actinic - you can then either view the source code generated or open the page that is in the PreviewHTML folder (the page name is displayed in the browser and usually something like P_index.html - or similar) or do a page save as from the browser menu. Save the page as something you can remember but not too obvious for random guesses.

It is worth checking the paths on any links as these may be pointing to the hard drive (not at an Actinic PC at the moment).

Once edited you can then add to the additional files

Bikster

Comment

OK - some progress (see here)
                          So, the obvious question is 'why aren't the pictures showing and why can't you add anything to the basket?' I'm assuming its because the page isn't referring to what is hidden in Actinic - so i'm back to the same prob mentioned in post #6.

Nick

Comment

Nick, you missed Jonts post about proofing the html to get rid of the preview specific stuff. The page should be at the /acatalog/ level, it is looking for the images in the root (brochure page) level of the site instead of the /acatalog/folder.

You are probably better repeating this exercise, but uploading the page within actinic, then viewing it online and going through the same same page save as, unique name, remove the original page from the actinic tree, check image paths, and upload through additional files.

Because the page is outside Actinic, you should add the referrer string to your cart links.
                            Bill
                            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Working...
                            X