Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visual SourceSafe

Hi

I have decided I need a version control system so have installed VSS.

I would appreciate advice on how best others have used this?

Should I just put my entire Site1 under control? Is this possible or does it create issues?

Paul
    KJ Beckett
    Men's Clothing & Accessories
    Cufflinks, Underwear, Ties, Grooming Products
    Bath, England
    Fast delivery to UK, USA and worldwide.
    Men's Fashion Blog

Site1 will contain generated files such as the .fil files, they don't need to go into Sourcesafe (problem being that sourcesafe would make them read only and Actinic might not be able to regenerate them).

I have a copy of my files elsewhere, but to be honest it just makes it harder to manage, so I will probably change it to reference the appropriate files in the Actinic directory.

Regards,
    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
    Multichannel order processing
    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

I add the entire Site directory to Sourcesafe (with the exception of the acatalog.mdb) and check the entire directory and sub directory out when I am working in Actinic, then check the entire directory back in when I have finished.

This keeps a perfect history of all files in the directory. I have Six site directories on my machine and I use VSS for all of them with great success. The ability to go back to a changed version is invaluable.

I use VSS 2005 and "label" the releases in VSS giving me a full history tracking system of changes for my clients.

VSS2005 is big step-up from the older versions, mainly because you can share your Sourcesafe server database across the internet (securely) - meaning remote working from many machines is possible too.

It's worked well for me and I'd recommend it as a great way of back up and version control.

Hope that helps,

Kevin
      KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Working...
      X