Advice sought on client snapshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice sought on client snapshot

I am using Developer v7 and want to transfer catalog management to a client, whilst I retain web design (themes, templates, design etc.) for the site. My client currently runs Order Mgr v7 (so has order download & processing already) and has now purchased Catalog v7.

This is my first site migration so I'd really appreciate some help on the whole process.

My main concerns are as follows ( ):

- Should I use the File/Snapshot/Export route or use Developer/Deploy Site Snapshot (what is the difference?)

- I assume I should retain ownership of Network Setup etc.?

- When we install Catalog on the client's PC do we uninstall Order Manager first (as I believe Catalog has built in OM functionality)?

- How will the new Catalog obtain the status of orders held in the outgoing copy of Order manager?

- Once Catalog is installed, do we simply do a snapshot import using the exported snapshot from my PC?

- Do I need to do anything about Security Keys?

- Is there a documented checklist for this process I can follow?

- Are there any 'Gotchas' to look out for?

Hi Greg

Lots of good questions there. I will attempt to help out...
    - Should I use the File/Snapshot/Export route or use Developer/Deploy Site Snapshot (what is the difference?)
    Thie difference is that 'Deplyo Site Snapshot' allows you to disable certain features in the target installation. In your case it sounds like you want to disable 'Design Changes' and 'Network Setup' and just leave the customer with 'Catalog Maintenance' and 'Order Processing'.
    - I assume I should retain ownership of Network Setup etc.?
    If you like. Up to you.
    - When we install Catalog on the client's PC do we uninstall Order Manager first (as I believe Catalog has built in OM functionality)?
    The best thing to do is install your copy of Catalog with Order Manager still installed. You should get the option to 'upgrade' your existing installation. Do this. Then when you go into Actinic it will still probably be in 'Order Manager' mode (as that is the license key you are using). You can then just enter the Catalog license key into 'Housekeeping | Upgrade'.
    - How will the new Catalog obtain the status of orders held in the outgoing copy of Order manager?
    The solution above will deal with this.
    - Once Catalog is installed, do we simply do a snapshot import using the exported snapshot from my PC?
    Yes - and during the import there will be an option to override orders in the target installation. Make sure you don't do this and you will have all teh design and content from your machine, and all the orders from your client's machine.
    - Do I need to do anything about Security Keys?
    Nope - they will be dealt with automatically.
    - Is there a documented checklist for this process I can follow?
    Not for upgrading an Order Manager to Catalog. But the above process should see you right.
    - Are there any 'Gotchas' to look out for?
    As long as you take a snapshot from Order Manager before you begin, you will be fine.

Comment

Working...
    X