adding webtracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adding webtracking

im trying to set up web tracking using webceo, webceo attaches the code to the bottom of my site html code, and then u can upload it onto the server. however, when i do this, the site html takes precedence over actinic and all u can see is some html coding and some empty image boxes, scared the crap out of me when i did it cos i thought i'd destroyed the site. i had to upload the site from actinic again to restore it. i know the web tracking works because ive already done it with a non e-commerce site. what do you have to do to apply web tracking to an actinic site ( with webceo if anyone is familiar)

cheers

Hello Charles - glad to see you have found the forum!.

Sounds like you have not downloaded the site correctly before adding the tracking code.

Go into WebCeo uploader and connect, highlight ALL the files on the server and download onto your PC. Open HitLens and rescan the downloaded files, select all files and insert the tracking code. It will ask if you want to use the previous code - say yes, once it completes select apply, when it has finished talking to the server select quick upload and it will take you back to the uploader. Select ALL the files in Local and upload.

Any probs call me.

Comment

Hi Mal,

I was adding the code to the files in the Site html and missed off the Act_primary etc files. i can see the webceo coding at the bottom of all the pages when i view source which is good. cheers for your help. good forum this though isnt it. what dyu think of our new colour scheme?

charlie

www.softwalker.co.uk

Comment

Malcolm - have looked briefly at HitLens in the past - from the above I take it that it works with the finished pages so would need to repeat the process each time a change is made to a page?

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

repeat the process each time a change is made to a page?
          Not always - minor text changes seem to be ok but if a template change is done them it will wipe the code and will need adding again.

It is best used with fairly static sites but it is well worth the effort as the data it reports on is huge.

Comment

adding the code to the files in the Site html and missed off the Act_primary etc files
            This is the wrong way to do it - do not play with the site1 files. Download the live pages from the server add the code and then upload them. Doing it to the site1 files will cause incorrect reporting and tracking.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
              Not always - minor text changes seem to be ok but if a template change is done them it will wipe the code and will need adding again
              Surely if you change anything in a section (ie a page on the server) such as a product detail or price the tracking code will be lost as Actinic compiles afresh from the Act_Primary or Act_BrochurePrimary ... if you change the Act_Primary then every product page will be lost not just the section page!

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

In theory yes a price change should create a new page and wipe the code but in practice it does not always - strange but true!.

If you change Act_Primary etc or do a refresh then it wipes the code on every page.

It can be time consuming to keep the code in if you are doing lots of work on a site but once things slow down then its not too bad.

Comment

adding the code to the files in the Site html and missed off the Act_primary etc files
                  If you have added HitLens code directly into the templates you MUST remove it. I would import your last snapshot to clean things up.

Comment

what dyu think of our new colour scheme
                    The sun must be out in Ulverston!!!!!

You forgot to update the links template
                    Last edited by RuralWeb; 07-Jul-2006, 02:27 PM. Reason: Just noticed

Comment

Working...
                    X