Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do the field names of customnav properties appear as in Access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do the field names of customnav properties appear as in Access?

Hello

For every product, I have alot of custom properties set-up (e.g. EXINFOMADEIN which allows me to enter where the product is made).

I have been trawling through my database looking for these fields but cant find them. I assume that they are not known by the property name I give them (e.g. EXINFOMADEIN) and instead something like sString1? Is this correct?

Also - what table would I find them in - I had presumed ProductProperties?

Many thanks

Paul
    KJ Beckett
    Men's Clothing & Accessories
    Cufflinks, Underwear, Ties, Grooming Products
    Bath, England
    Fast delivery to UK, USA and worldwide.
    Men's Fashion Blog

The CUSTOMVAR names are held in HTMLVariables.

The actual values of each CUSTOMVAR are in ProductProperties - the 'sString1' column. The 'nValue1' column corresponds to the ID assigned to the CUSTOMVAR name in HTMLVariables.
    www.gbradley.co.uk
    Web Development, Actinic Patches, Scripts & more

Comment

Hmm...so the names of the customproperties are html but the data is held in the database under sString1, sString2, etc?

Therefore I should be able to create a database of products that displays the information held in my custom navs?

Paul
      KJ Beckett
      Bath, England
      Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Sorry, I should explain that better.

The CUSTOMVAR names are held in the database table called 'HTMLVariables'. That table stores each CUSTOMVAR name (in the 'sName' column), and assigns each name with a unique ID (the 'nVariableID' column).

The CUSTOMVAR values that you assign to your products are held in the 'ProductProperties' table.

- The 'sProductRef' column denotes the product the CUSTOMVAR is assigned to
        - The 'sString1' column is the actual CUSTOMVAR value
        - The 'nValue1' column contains a value from the 'nVariableID' column in the HTMLVariables table

This is how the two tables are linked together, allowing you to assign many properties to the same CUSTOMVAR name.
        www.gbradley.co.uk
        Web Development, Actinic Patches, Scripts & more

Comment

Using Access to query v7 database

Hi all

I am trying to create a query using Access to allow me to list my products and all their custom navs.

I have created a simple query which presents the product name, product reference, price, etc. However it presents multiple records for each product (see screen shot attached - kjbeckett-query.jpg). The amount of duplicate records seems to correspond to the amount of string1 (e.g. customnavs) a product has.

I cant figure out how to display one record per product?

Furthermore I have created this sql that diplays customnavs:

Product Type: IIf([nValue1]=31,[ProductProperties].[sString1])

(for your info - nValue1 31 is Brand name). I have then repeated this sql in different columns (changing the nValue value) to display all the custom navs. However they are listed on multiple records (see screen shot attached - kjbeckett-query.jpg)?

Does anyone know how to list one product as one record, with all the nValues on the same line?

Kind regards

Paul
          KJ Beckett
          Attached Files
          KJ Beckett
          Bath, England
          Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Paul,

Checking this one for you.

Kind regards,
            Bruce King
            SellerDeck

Comment

Thanks Bruce.

I am very inexperienced with Access but I am continuing to trial things - nothing has worked yet. I have tried doing SELECT DISTINCT queries etc but nothing has quite worked.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Kind regards

Paul
              KJ Beckett
              KJ Beckett
              Bath, England
              Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Originally posted by paulbeckett
                Thanks Bruce.

I am very inexperienced with Access but I am continuing to trial things - nothing has worked yet. I have tried doing SELECT DISTINCT queries etc but nothing has quite worked.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Kind regards

Paul
                KJ Beckett
                Morning Paul

can you please post a screenshot of your query. I need to see the relationships that you have in there...

Comment

You need to join one instance of the product property table into your query for each customvar, the examples below work for 3 customvars

This will give you results for records with all of the customvars set

SELECT Product.[Product reference], Product.[Short description],
                  ProductProperties.sString1, ProductProperties_1.sString1,
                  ProductProperties_2.sString1
                  FROM ((Product INNER JOIN ProductProperties ON Product.[Product reference]
                  = ProductProperties.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS
                  ProductProperties_1 ON Product.[Product reference] =
                  ProductProperties_1.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS
                  ProductProperties_2 ON Product.[Product reference] =
                  ProductProperties_2.sProductRef
                  WHERE (((ProductProperties.nValue1)=5) AND
                  ((ProductProperties_1.nValue1)=6) AND ((ProductProperties_2.nValue1)=7)
                  AND ((ProductProperties.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_1.nType)=3) AND
                  ((ProductProperties_2.nType)=3));

This will give you a row for every product, showing which ever values are
                  set :

SELECT Product.[Product reference], Product.[Short description],
                  ProductProperties.sString1, ProductProperties_1.sString1,
                  ProductProperties_2.sString1
                  FROM ((Product LEFT JOIN ProductProperties ON Product.[Product reference]
                  = ProductProperties.sProductRef) LEFT JOIN ProductProperties AS
                  ProductProperties_1 ON Product.[Product reference] =
                  ProductProperties_1.sProductRef) LEFT JOIN ProductProperties AS
                  ProductProperties_2 ON Product.[Product reference] =
                  ProductProperties_2.sProductRef
                  WHERE (((ProductProperties.nValue1)=5) AND
                  ((ProductProperties_1.nValue1)=6) AND ((ProductProperties_2.nValue1)=7)
                  AND ((ProductProperties.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_1.nType)=3) AND
                  ((ProductProperties_2.nType)=3)) OR (((ProductProperties.nValue1) Is Null)
                  AND ((ProductProperties_1.nValue1) Is Null) AND
                  ((ProductProperties_2.nValue1) Is Null) AND ((ProductProperties.nType) Is
                  Null) AND ((ProductProperties_1.nType) Is Null) AND
                  ((ProductProperties_2.nType) Is Null));

Don't be scared off by the SQL, make a new query in access, change the view to SQL view, paste one of the queries in and then you can change to design view and work as usual.

Regards,
                  Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                  Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                  A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                  Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                  Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                  Multichannel order processing
                  Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

there is alternative methods that handle the sql using PivotTables ( or CrossTabs ) - not often used, but very very powerful

firstly use a bit of throwaway SQL to find all the CustomVars you want to show on your report using the following SQL code
                    Code:
                    SELECT HTMLVariables.nVariableID, HTMLVariables.sName
                    FROM HTMLVariables
                    WITH OWNERACCESS OPTION;
                    Make a note of the numbers in the 1st column. - in my particular case, the CustomVars were types 9,12,13,16,17

Now create a second query called "qryFindAllCustomVars" - switch to SqlView on the VIEW menu and enter the following:

Code:
                    SELECT HTMLVariables.nVariableID, HTMLVariables.sName,
                     ProductProperties.sProductRef, ProductProperties.sString1,
                     Product.[Short description]
                    FROM Product INNER JOIN (ProductProperties 
                      INNER JOIN 
                      HTMLVariables ON ProductProperties.nValue1 = TMLVariables.nVariableID) 
                      ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties.sProductRef
                      WHERE (((HTMLVariables.nVariableID)=9
                        Or (HTMLVariables.nVariableID)=12
                        Or (HTMLVariables.nVariableID)=13
                        Or (HTMLVariables.nVariableID)=17
                        Or (HTMLVariables.nVariableID)=16))
                    I've laid out the code this way so you can see the WHERE clause easily - you can ammend the WHERE clause to suit your circumstances

run the query and it should tell you if you have the correct values coming back - if not, adjust the query to make it right

this will show you
                    • the CustomVar number used in the WHERE clause
                    • the name of the CustomVar
                    • the ProductRef
                    • the value of the CustomVar
                    • the main description of the product

save this as "qryFindAllCustomVars"
                    now you need create a second query called "qryFindAllCustomVars_Crosstab" and enter the following code:
                    Code:
                    TRANSFORM First(qryFindAllCustomVars.sString1) AS FirstOfsString1
                    SELECT qryFindAllCustomVars.sProductRef
                    FROM qryFindAllCustomVars
                    GROUP BY qryFindAllCustomVars.sProductRef
                    PIVOT qryFindAllCustomVars.sName;
                    this then gives you the
                    • Product Code in the 1st column
                    • each of the required CustomVars in the other column-titles
                    • and each of the values in the actual table

so you end up with a nice little table of you Product-CustomVars

HTML Code:
                    Ref	 SupCode  Supplier  LeadTime  MinQty  SupplierPrice
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Test1     X123er     Maplins   3wk         4          12.60
                    Test2     ABC123     BandQ     4d          1           3.40

By changing the WHERE clause in the first query, you will get more (or less) columns in the second query

its now a simple exercise to turn this into a report.

I am NOT saying that Jans solution does not work, it does and works well, but as with many things, "theres many ways to skin a cat"

regards

kev

Comment

Jan, Kev

Many thanks for your advice.

I am playing with Jan's 1st suggestion first, which seems to do exactly what I want it to do. Many thanks.

I'm not sure how to add additional columns for additional customvars. I have tried copying the SQL I think needs to be replicated and adding to the SQL using the same formating, for instance creating a ProductProperties_3 for the 4th customvar, however this is throwing up syntax errors. Can you indicate how to increase the number of customvars?

Kind regards

Paul
                      KJ Beckett
                      KJ Beckett
                      Bath, England
                      Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Hi

This is the SQL I have created in order to add a 4th customvar but it is coming up with the error...

Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_2.sProductRef INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_3 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_3.sProductRef

SELECT Product.[Product reference], Product.[Short description], ProductProperties.sString1, ProductProperties_1.sString1, ProductProperties_2.sString1, ProductProperties_3.sString1, "http://www.kjbeckett.com/acatalog/"+Mid([Image FileName],InstrR([Image Filename],"\")+1) AS [Image]
                        FROM ((Product INNER JOIN ProductProperties ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_1 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_1.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_2 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_2.sProductRef INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_3 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_3.sProductRef
                        WHERE (((ProductProperties.nValue1)=30) AND ((ProductProperties_1.nValue1)=31) AND ((ProductProperties_2.nValue1)=32) AND ((ProductProperties_3.nValue1)=55) AND ((ProductProperties.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_1.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_2.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_3.nType)=3));

I'm not sure what missing operator I have left out?

Paul
                        KJ Beckett
                        Bath, England
                        Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Try this Paul.

SELECT Product.[Product reference], Product.[Short description], ProductProperties.sString1, ProductProperties_1.sString1, ProductProperties_2.sString1, ProductProperties_3.sString1, "http://www.kjbeckett.com/acatalog/"+Mid([Image FileName],Instr([Image Filename],"\")+1) AS [Image]
                          FROM (((Product INNER JOIN ProductProperties ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_1 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_1.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_2 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_2.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_3 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_3.sProductRef
                          WHERE (((ProductProperties.nValue1)=30) AND ((ProductProperties_1.nValue1)=31) AND ((ProductProperties_2.nValue1)=32) AND ((ProductProperties.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_1.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_2.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_3.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_3.nValue1)=55));

Regards,
                          Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                          Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                          A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                          Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                          Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                          Multichannel order processing
                          Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Jan

I understand it now! Many thanks for your guidance.

Paul
                            KJ Beckett
                            KJ Beckett
                            Bath, England
                            Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Hello

Arrgh! Stuck again - and I can see no reason why!

Following the messages below I have created a list that shows many of my products details including 6 product customvars.

I have now tried to include a 7th customvar and my list only shows the products that has information contained in that customvar.

I have used the exact same method of setting up the query as I did for the other 6 customvars (e.g. I built a new ProductProperties_7 table) - many of them dont have information in but the query still demonstrated the full list (but left blanks where there was no information).

This is the code with 6 customvars where the full product list is returned:

SELECT Product.[Product reference] AS Ref, Product.[Short description] AS [Product Name], ProductProperties.sString1 AS Brand, ProductProperties_1.sString1 AS Type, ProductProperties_2.sString1 AS [Made In], ProductProperties_3.sString1 AS Material, Format(IIf([sTax1OpaqueData]="101=1750.00=0=" Or [sTax1OpaqueData]="101=1750=0=",([Product].[price]/100)*1.175,[product].[price]/100),"Fixed") AS [NET Price], ProductProperties_4.sString1 AS Colour, ProductProperties_5.sString1 AS [NET cost], ProductProperties_6.sString1 AS [Supplier ref], Left(myReplace(myReplace([Full Description],'• ',""),Chr(13) & Chr(10)," "),+400) AS [Description/Features], Product.nStockOnHand AS [Stock Level]
                              FROM [Catalog section] INNER JOIN (((((((Product INNER JOIN ProductProperties ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_1 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_1.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_2 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_2.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_3 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_3.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_4 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_4.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_5 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_5.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_6 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_6.sProductRef) ON [Catalog section].nSectionID = Product.nParentSectionID
                              WHERE (((ProductProperties.nValue1)=30) AND ((ProductProperties_1.nValue1)=31) AND ((ProductProperties_2.nValue1)=32) AND ((ProductProperties_3.nValue1)=29) AND ((ProductProperties_1.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_2.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_3.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_4.nValue1)=28) AND ((ProductProperties_4.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_5.nValue1)=54) AND ((ProductProperties_5.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_6.nValue1)=53) AND ((ProductProperties_6.nType)=3) AND (([Catalog section].bExcludeFromFroogle)=0));

and this is the SQL code where I have tried to add the 7th customvar but only the products with information in the new customvar are being returned.

SELECT Product.[Product reference] AS Ref, Product.[Short description] AS [Product Name], ProductProperties.sString1 AS Brand, ProductProperties_1.sString1 AS Type, ProductProperties_2.sString1 AS [Made In], ProductProperties_3.sString1 AS Material, Format(IIf([sTax1OpaqueData]="101=1750.00=0=" Or [sTax1OpaqueData]="101=1750=0=",([Product].[price]/100)*1.175,[product].[price]/100),"Fixed") AS [NET Price], ProductProperties_4.sString1 AS Colour, ProductProperties_5.sString1 AS [NET cost], ProductProperties_6.sString1 AS [Supplier ref], Left(myReplace(myReplace([Full Description],'• ',""),Chr(13) & Chr(10)," "),+400) AS [Description/Features], Product.nStockOnHand AS [Stock Level], ProductProperties_7.sString1
                              FROM ([Catalog section] INNER JOIN (((((((Product INNER JOIN ProductProperties ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_1 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_1.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_2 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_2.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_3 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_3.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_4 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_4.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_5 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_5.sProductRef) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_6 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_6.sProductRef) ON [Catalog section].nSectionID = Product.nParentSectionID) INNER JOIN ProductProperties AS ProductProperties_7 ON Product.[Product reference] = ProductProperties_7.sProductRef
                              WHERE (((ProductProperties.nValue1)=30) AND ((ProductProperties_1.nValue1)=31) AND ((ProductProperties_2.nValue1)=32) AND ((ProductProperties_3.nValue1)=29) AND ((ProductProperties_1.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_2.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_3.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_4.nValue1)=28) AND ((ProductProperties_4.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_5.nValue1)=54) AND ((ProductProperties_5.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_6.nValue1)=53) AND ((ProductProperties_6.nType)=3) AND (([Catalog section].bExcludeFromFroogle)=0) AND ((ProductProperties_7.nType)=3) AND ((ProductProperties_7.nValue1)=81));

Can any one advise me what I have done wrong?

Kind regards

Paul
                              KJ Beckett
                              Bath, England
                              Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X