Order Number Reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order Number Reset

A few days ago, my web space provider moved my site onto another server. They assured me that the change over would be seamless and would not affect my customers.

After the changeover however, my order numbers got reset to 00000001. Not wanting to start again from 00000001 I reset the order number to where it last reached before the glitch. (Using HELP/Troubleshooting/Update Order Number).

This seemed to work fine however when I checked my Google analytics file a day later, I discovered that at least 8 orders had been lost.

The order numbers that I have on Actinic from 00005713 to 00005720 had totally different order values to those listed on Google Analytics. I have since had 2 customers phone up and query their orders. The order values of these two match the order values registered by Google Analytics.

I'm thinking that when I reset the order nuumbering to 5713, these 8 people had already been issued order numbers 5713 to 5720. It appears that these 8 original orders have then been overwritten by the new 5713 to 5720 and lost. I know that they got to the receipt page because that's what my Google Analytics goal is generated from.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there any way I can recover the original 8 orders.

Many Thanks.

Dave

You could check in your actinic database using access or excel. Actinic uses order sequence numbers to identify an order and there's a chance that you may have the missing orders with a unique order sequence number in your database.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks Mike. I've just tried your suggestion but the missing orders don't appear to be held in the database.

Comment

I suspect that they're gone then. Overwritten by the later orders.

Maybe someone from actinic could confirm as this isn't really something users can confirm with any confidence.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Maybe someone from actinic could confirm as this isn't really something users can confirm with any confidence.
          Hi there - I'm not sure about this. Although the order sequence numbers are the same, the rest of the order number would be different because the address details (name and postcode) will be different. My guess is that the missing orders were placed on the old server while you were waiting for the DNS to propogate fully. Is the old server space still live? Can you reach it by IP address? If so, the orders may still be on there. If you talk to Actinic support, they could help you pull down the details.

Comment

Thanks Chris. I'll contact my provider and find out if I can get the old server by IP.

Comment

Look for the *.ord files. Hopefully the old host will not have wiped the webspace yet.

Comment

Working...
              X