VAT exemption for the disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read plenty of threads on VAT exemption, mostly to do with the Channel Islands, but this one's a bit more complicated.

An online store sells products for the disabled, some of which can have the tax exempted by a registered disabled person if they fill in a form, and some if which must have tax paid on them by everybody. It's no problem to allow exemption on the entire order, but is there a way of allowing exemption on certain products only?

I'm betting the answer will be a resounding "no"

Malcolm
    ¤ The world wide web needn't cost the earth
    ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
    ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

You might be able to do it by using the Advanced Tax setup in Business Options and then using the product details tab to define the tax rate which can be set to exclude tax.

Comment

Is there anyway for customers to select exempt from VAT if they are registered disable. According to HMRC they still have to pay VAT on shipping cost? I use Sellerdect 2013

Comment

its not that simple,
        the user decides if he/she is able to claim the vat exemption.
        so in this case, if you break your leg and buy a wheenchair, you do not have a "long term disability" and you must pay vat
        if , however, you have a long term disability (amputated legs etc), then the chair (and as far as I know) and the postage is also vat free. (the postage is vatable but the claimant is claiming vat exemption on everything - chair and postage)
        so the simple answer is, NO, you can't do it.

Comment

Only certain goods

As implied by Kevin, the VAT relief only applies for certain goods, such as a wheelchair. The disabled person has to be long-term seriously disabled.

A couple of times I have had customers try to get the VAT deducted for bars of sugar-free chocolate as they have diabetes!

Sarah

Comment

a friend of mine is one of the "big boys" that go round offering "early moning wake-up calls" on behalf of the VAT man.
            he's recently told us of an intersting case involving mobile home vans, seems the bloke only sold his vans (100% of them) to disabled people, filled out the forms himself, re-invoiced minus the vat which went into his bank account,
            there's wasn't a problem until one of the vatmen noticed the 100% disabilty record and investigated.
            seems they went to peoples houses "to confirm their disabilty"

He said "its surprising how many people suddenly grew their leg back when the vat man came to call"

the "disabled" people we of course, entirely innocent, but I know that HMP is currently looking after the man that sold the vans

Comment

Working...
            X