Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External links fields

Hi all.

I'm sure I've asked this before but I'll ask again incase things have changed in version 8.

Most of our products have a 'Manufacture Part Code' field, which doesn't exist as a default field for the products. Is there a way I can add to the fields that I can link to via the External Links option? I already have an SQL database with my products listed but I can't get the part code into Actinic.

Any suggestions/advice welcome.

Thanks,
    Dave
    David Webb
    A2Z Computing Ltd

Dave,

This will be possible in v8. You can create a new variable called 'Manufacturers Part Code' and choose to define it on product level. This will add a field to the 'Properties' tab which you can link to.

v8 specific questions are best asked on the v8 Discussion Forum, to help keep the information in one location.

Kind regards,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

v8 specific questions are best asked on the v8 Discussion Forum, to help keep the information in one location.
      I'm not so sure about this. My understanding is that the current V8 forum is for beta issues and I'm kind of expecting it to be replaced with a proper V8 forum once V8 goes into full release.

Maybe I'm wrong in which case I apologise.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Mike,

You are correct, there will be a proper v8 forum once we are in production release. Containing v8 discussions on one forum will make it easier to migrate what is needed to the v8 forum, when it is up.

Kind regards,
        Bruce King
        SellerDeck

Comment

That makes sense. Nice to hear that V8 can link externally to variables. I can already think of ways to use that.

mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I'm still using version 7, which is why I posted in this forum. I mentioned version 8 incase it was something made available in the new version, which would prompt me to upgrade when it's available.
            David Webb
            A2Z Computing Ltd

Comment

Dave and Mike,

My apologies, I appear to have missed a very important part of the original query. I'm afraid to say that the external linking feature still only works with basic product fields, and not user-definable fields. You can however create an Export file and then update the Value under the userdefined Column head that you will see in the exported file ( if said field is created in Actinic ). You could also access the UserDefined Properties in the Database, Open ActinicCatalog.mdb in Access and look in the 'UserDefinedProperties' table. All new Varibles will appear at the bottom of the list.

Kind regards,
              Bruce King
              SellerDeck

Comment

Bruce,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite sure I understand what you're suggesting with the database file. Do you mean I can manually edit the .mdb file in Access to allow me to bring my custom variables in via the external links? Or is that definately not achievable but I could add them by hand in the Access database?

I had accepted the fact I may have to add them by hand, but I have about 3 custom varibales per product and over 2000 products - nightmare!

Thanks,
                Dave
                David Webb
                A2Z Computing Ltd

Comment

David,

Yes, you will have to do them by hand.

Kind regards,
                  Bruce King
                  SellerDeck

Comment

Bruce,

Thanks for confirming that. What's the best way to get something like this onto a wishlist? I've needed something like this since version 5

Cheers,
                    Dave
                    David Webb
                    A2Z Computing Ltd

Comment

I will put in a request for you.

Kind regards,
                      Bruce King
                      SellerDeck

Comment

Thanks, Bruce, that'd be great.
                        David Webb