Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping costs headache

Hi,

I'm currently developing a site which will allow customers to send in negatives / slides for scanning and which will be returned with the scans burned to CD or DVD.

My problem is this - since the website will not know how heavy the incoming package will be and hence how heavy the returned package is going to be, how will I be able to setup the shipping tables for this scenario, assuming that it is at all possible in the first place ?

I have considered the 'by weight' option but as the above scenario shows, this is not at all satisfactory.

Any thoughts / help appreciated.

As a side issue can I congratulate those forum members who take a lot of time to answer the many questions that are raised on these excellent forums. Keep up the good work, I just wish I was as experienced with Actinic as many of you already are.

Graham

There is not going to be a single solution - as you say you don't know how the files will be sent to you (as a single transparency or in a full photo-album) so will not know the weight upon which to base your calculation.

You could possibly work out an average (advise people how to pack the artwork) and take the rough with the smooth in terms of the return costs to you.

You could also ask the client to provide a Stamped Address Envelope for the safe return thereby placing the shipping onus onto them This would also maintain a low price as part of the return cost is not charged back to them.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Why not use simple shipping of say £5. Surely that will cover it. For £4.57 You can send up to 1 Kg with Royal Mail first class recorded, that is a lot of negatives.

£5.70 for 1 KG or £7.40 for 2 KG with Royal Mail special delivery (excellent service)

If you have processed lets say 1.5 KG of negatives I presume you would make enough profit to subsidise the £1.40 on the shipping
      David

Comment

Hi,

Thanks Jont and David for your input it's much appreciated. I shall have to see what is the most viable way of implementing the suggestions. I have always been a bit concerned about having a flat rate for postage although it's the easier method it would penalise those customers who only send in very small quantities of negatives.

Perhaps the simple shipping method may be the best option in the long run as it would certainly remove the biggest headache !

Thanks again for the input.

Graham

Comment

It may also be worth considering loading some of the postage cost onto the product slightly .. a penny or so if doing volume work and then showing a smaller delivery charge which will keep more people happier.. again swings and roundabouts and depends on the volumes involved

Bikster

Comment

Hi Jont,

Another option for me to consider, many thanks.

Graham

Comment

Why not ask them to weigh the package at thier end and allow them to select the postsge charge when ordering based on weight.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                Why not ask them to weigh the package at thier end and allow them to select the postsge charge when ordering based on weight.
                Often best to remove any user option I have found - they will either think it is too much hassle and look elsewhere, will do it wrong or often lie and select a different option .. customers are funny blighters ... best to give them multiple choice answers but with only 1 option

Bikster

Comment

Agreed to much choice is a bad thing - it was just a tho.ught

Comment

Working...
                  X