'Add to Mailing list' info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Add to Mailing list' info

Hi, i have recently set up an 'add to mailing list' option to all my product pages, it is part of the product body template and is doing its job perfectly, however i now want it to do more!
    is it possible to get it to tell me which page it was sent from?
    The form its self is, as i said, part of the productbody template so the exact same code goes onto each page,
    Is there any way for the form to read the name of the page that was active when it was sent.

I really want to know what the customers where looking at when they decided to subscribe to the mailing list (just one of many things to try and find out which of our products are popular)

SCOOP

EDIT:- so maybe i lied, its not part of the product body template, its part of act_primary, cause it dont work in the product body (dammed forms), dunno if that makes a difference or not
    www.incredibid.co.uk

You could probably hack this (location.href) which is used as part of a mailto to include the current pagename as the subject:

<input type=text value="email address" size="12" onchange="
    var thisloc=location.href;
    if (this.value != '')
    {
    location.href='mailto:' + this.value
    +'?subject= thisloc
    }
    ">

Comment

The only way I can think of is to install some navigation tracking software, you will then see the page that was viewed before the newsletter confirmation page.

Comment

Ok, so i understand what your getting at, but i am not so good with the forms and java and stuff,
        would i just put that directly into my form or would i have to change it at all

Before i started with actinic i thought i had a decent knowledge of HTML, but now i realise i have a LOOOOONG way to go, but hey, its fun learning

SCOOOP
        www.incredibid.co.uk

Comment

The software I am refering to will place unique code on every page of your site. It needs to do this to track each page as it is navigated by a visitor.

There are lots arround - the main problem with actinic is that it generally wipes the code every time a page is uploaded so it takes a bit of managing.

Comment

hi, that response was aimed at drounding, sorry

Just as an idea, would it work if i set up a customvar called MAILPAGE
            then add
            <input type=hidden name="pagefrom" value="CUSTOMVAR:MAILPAGE">
            to the form in Act_primary

and on each section of the catalog (which will each generate 1 html page) give the customvar a value

As far as my erm, guesswork, goes that should then add a line in the email i get with whatever value i gave the customvar

SCOOP
            www.incredibid.co.uk

Comment

It might - but it would be a lot of work. Have a dig around on the interent - some recent versions of FormMail support server parameters such as the referring page. I'm sure you could compose some js documentwrite to build the form on pageload. Hopefully some js fundi will read this and shed some light...

Comment

I hope so, i have no idea about javascript,

Thanks
                SCOOP
                www.incredibid.co.uk

Comment

Code:
                  <script type='text/javascript'>
                  document.write('<input type="hidden" name="pagefrom" value="'+location.href+'" />');
                  </script>
                  That will write a hidden textbox to the page with the value set to the current page name.
                  www.gbradley.co.uk
                  Web Development, Actinic Patches, Scripts & more

Comment

Thanks Kermy Works perfectly, i got as far as finding out what a document.write was while searching google,

Again thanks for the help everybody

SCOOP
                    www.incredibid.co.uk

Comment

Hi Andrew

Where did you get the code for your "Why Not Sign Up For Our Newsletter?" section?

I would like to do the same as you and collect email addresses.

Paul
                      KJ Beckett
                      Men's Clothing & Accessories
                      Cufflinks, Underwear, Ties, Grooming Products
                      Bath, England
                      Fast delivery to UK, USA and worldwide.
                      Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Hi Andrew

Where did you get the code for your "Why Not Sign Up For Our Newsletter?" section?

I would like to do the same as you and collect email addresses.

Paul
                        KJ Beckett
                        Men's Clothing & Accessories
                        Cufflinks, Underwear, Ties, Grooming Products
                        Bath, England
                        Fast delivery to UK, USA and worldwide.
                        Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

the answer to this tends to depend o nthe method you use to collect/send emails.

if for example you use email/marketing apps such as groupmail, you would expect the find the sign up code provided for you by Groupmail.

Ideally you want your sign up script to auto populate the app that sends. Of course there should be an unsubscribe too

Comment

Working...
                          X