Deleting live site from web server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleting live site from web server

I have a problem with the shopping cart displaying incorrectly on one or two pages - displaying as a string of Netquotevars instead of the proper cart.

I have done everything I can find in the forums - namely: purging, refreshing, deleting html files in SiteHTML and PreviewHTML folders, compacting databases, more refreshing, closing Actinic, refreshing again, crossing fingers, praying... I managed to cure the original problem which was on one page, but another page developed it instead. Then tried changing the CGI Script number and now 3 page are affected (the same two as before plus a new one).

I am reluctant to do any more as I am making it worse rather than better.

The one thing I have not tried (which did solve this problem when it was a test site) is to delete files from the web server and then refresh the site.

Can this be safely done with a live site? If so, what can be deleted and what should be left?

Or is there anything else that I can try?

Many thanks

Jo

ratherthan delete everything from the server put the site into "test" mode and upload to a separate part of the server.

Also copy the affected html files from the themes folder to replace the ones you've messed up and reapply the changes

Comment

Thanks very much for the reply.

I am sure I am being dim, but how does uploading the site in test mode resolve the problem? Or do you mean I should upload in test mode as a precaution and then delete everything (except the test part) and upload the live site from scratch?

When you say copy the affected html files, do you mean on the hard disk or by ftp-ing?

Sorry to need this spelled out!

Jo

Comment

Because I doubted that deleting everything from thewebserver would resolve the problem I thought a better solution would be to upload a test site instead, so yes it was a precautionary idea.
        When you say copy the affected html files, do you mean on the hard disk or by ftp-ing?
        I meant copy the original version of the html files you have messed with from the formats folder, ie get rid of your failing templates and put the original working template back in its place, so the site should work again, then you can reapply your changes .

ie goto programfiles/actinicv7/formats/ locate xxx.html and copy it to site1

Comment

Thanks so much for your help. I don't think I explained my problem very well. Anyway your response triggered an idea which I tried and it worked! So, just in case this helps anyone else:

I changed the template for the affected pages to one that I knew worked (which obviously made the affected page look like the new template). I then uploaded the site and checked that the page looked as it should without the NETQUOTEVAR rubbish. Then I changed the template back to the one it should use and uploaded again. Success! It worked for all 3 affected pages.

Very simple in the end. It appears that it had got its knickers in a twist somehow and forcing it to upload it with the proper template seemed to work.

Anyway, many thanks again for your time and help which was just the ticket in the end.

Jo

Comment

Working...
          X