Clear All

Q. What is DMOZ, when it is at home?

Andy
    http://www.banchory4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by banchory4x4
      Q. What is DMOZ, when it is at home?
      A very influential listing directory http://dmoz.org/

Getting listed in there can add a lot of page rank weight for inbound links... getting listed can be notoriously slow as is an open project

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Just to reiterate from my previous reply.

Register your url with dmoz in the most relevent category(It will need to be in the business section) and then forget about it.

Some categories have a very long lead time for reviewing, they rely on volunteers. I am still waiting after nearly a year.
        There is no way of checking progress or confirming that you are on the waiting list however, if you re-submit, your first submission will be ignored in favour of the later one - which will be back at the start of the queue!

You just need to trust that they will get round to it one day.
        Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk
        The online store for Briggs and Stratton spare parts

Comment

The site I work for www.kernelpower.co.uk is at present 4th in google worldwide , 2nd on yahoo worldwide and 1st on msn worlwide , This is a tough job doing this stuff and people just aint gonna hand out there tips , sorry

Comment

The site I work for www.kernelpower.co.uk is at present 4th in google worldwide , 2nd on yahoo worldwide and 1st on msn worlwide
            This is true for your unusual keywords like 'bitter apricot kernels', but not for the broader keywords like 'cancer cures'

In general, unusual keyword combos will always rank higher and more easily than common ones.

BTW, Gavin, did you know that the keyword 'alternetive medicine' is mis-spelt (as shown) in your home page keywords.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by acompton
              In general, unusual keyword combos will always rank higher and more easily than common ones.
              This is often the trick used by dodgy SEO companies who "guarantee first place listings" which is great for the site owner but not much use for the average browser who is likely to enter more vague search strings

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Register your url with dmoz in the most relevent category(It will need to be in the business section) and then forget about it.
                Slight inaccuracies here. As you will see from reading half a dozen threads in Resource-Zone (a privately owned and funded forum, run by a group of active DMOZ editors), a site CAN qualify for two listings.

If you have prices, and a means of purchasing available on the website, you can only be listed in a SHOPPING category, so do not waste time looking for a Business category for your submittal.

If you have a physical location where Customers can come and look at your product or collect their purchases, or you employ a number of people at that location, you may also qualify for a listing in the Regional Location (i.e. name of the town where the facility is located)

UK Companies (and only UK companies) can also apply for a THIRD listing in the appropriate SHOPPING category inside the special UK-specific topical listings.

The Regional listing is probably most active and most likely to be added first. If you hit it lucky, the editor doing your Regional lsiting may also have editing rights in the appropriate UK Shopping category, and do both your UK listings in one step.

You are likely to wait a while for the general topical shopping listing, unless you happen to have a niche site for a topic an editor is currently trying to expand.
                Bill
                www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

This is a tough job doing this stuff and people just aint gonna hand out there tips , sorry
                  I think you will find that many of the more active contributors to the forum do hand out tips - me included. A search of the forum will show most if not all of the SEO tips relating to Actinic. bills tips about DMOZ is another example.

Comment

Thanks for correcting my error Bill. I did mean Shopping rather than Business.

I wasn't aware of the UK specific category though. I shall look into that.
                    Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk

Comment

To Alan , Thanks for pointing out the typo , I would be most grateful if you could let me know where the mistake is , much appreciated , it could also be a spidered page that is there for the typo's but probably not

Thanks Alot

Gavin

Comment

Just another point of note regarding the way Google regionally lists sites.

If you are using Google.co.uk and search all the web, it will still weight it's results heavily in favour of UK sites. The results are considerably different in most cases to a similar search on Google.com

Example:
                        I am #1 on an all the web search from Google.co.uk but only #10 using the Google.com search on the toolbar.
                        Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk

Comment

To Alan , Thanks for pointing out the typo , I would be most grateful if you could let me know where the mistake is , much appreciated , it could also be a spidered page that is there for the typo's but probably not
                          Its in the meta keywords on the home page, so its probably come from the Keywords property tab on your top-level catalogue page (I bet you set them up ages ago and had forgotten they exist). The html looks like this:
                          Code:
                          <meta name="Keywords" content="Amygdalin , b17 , apricot seeds , apricot kernels , cancer cures, cancer , alternetive medicine , alternative therapies,bitter apricot kernels , apricot seeds, vitamin b17 , ernst krebs , ,">

Comment

Working...
                          X