Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upload of Digital Download files: some go, others don't!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upload of Digital Download files: some go, others don't!

I've got an interesting problem that some (very) bright spark out there might help me with?
    I've got a site that's in test and will sell PDF's. These Products are grouped into four Sections in my Catalog.
    Each Product in each Catalog Section has two PDFs associated with it:
    - A Contents PDF the visitor can click on, and it downloads immediately.
    - the full product PDFs, which will be provided to the purchaser via email link, after they've paid.

So far all the Contents PDFs have uploaded onto the host site, and the visitor can download them fine.
    The problem comes with the full product PDFs. I can upload them to the FIRST SECTION of the Catalog. But not to any of the others. When I try tranferring others to the website I get the message:
    An error occurred while transferring files to the web site.

Possible Cause:
    Network timed out
    Network is down
    FTP server is down
    Remote server disk is full
    The permissions on the file or directory on the remote
    server are locked
    If the file being sent is a CGI script
    (nqxxxxxx.pl or caxxxxxx.pl) someone else may be
    using the same CGI script ID as you.
    Recommendations:
    Abort
    Resolution:
    Re-establish your network connection
    Be sure the FTP server is running
    Try re-installing the web site when the network is not so busy
    Make sure the disk is not full on the remote server
    Make sure the website and cgi-bin directories
    on the remote server are writable
    Make sure the files in the cgi-bin and website are writable
    Make sure your CGI script ID in the Advanced |
    Network Setup... dialog is unique for your web server.

File: 4007/1_007228_7001aBCSSkillsManager.pdf

I've been through every possible option on the Resolution list, and none makes sense. Disks, permissions etc are all in place, and in any case a Section 2 Product would go into the exact same DD directory on the host as the other. I can send VAST files into Section 1, but not the tiniest PDF into other sections.
    Ideas?

Hi,

Can you tell me if any of these PDF's have the same name? Do you have the files in your Site1 folder and are they selected on the 'Digital Download' tab of each of the products offering the full PDF's. Where and how are you offering the link for the instant download.

Can we have a URL please?

Kind regards,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

Answers to your questions:

Hi Bruce,
      Names: None of the PDFs have the same name.
      Location: None fo the files are in the Site1 folder. They are scattered across the My Documents folder. They are selected on the Digital Download tab, using the browse facility provided on that tab.
      Download links: these are provided in 2 places: the WorldPay receipt, and the Order confirmation sent by actinic. Both those delivery mechanisms were right when tested for Prodcuts from the one section ('Analyst Notes')whose products can be uploaded successfully.
      Site URL: diazresearch.com/ecommerce.html. You will see the OK (Analyst Note) section plus one other where the products are not being offered on-line yet. Note that the site is live, not in test.

If you think it is important I could try locating the PDFs in Site1, though the ones that do upload and download OK were not there.

Many thanks

Comment

Loading from Site1 leads to exactly the same problem when uploading the PDFs.
        Now completely at a loss. Any thoughts, no matter how tentative, appreciated.

Comment

I would suggest you make a snapshot of the site as it is, with the .pdf files in the Site1 folder. Zip the snapshot as well as the .pdf's to be sure they are all there and then upload to your webspace and send me a linK to download. Will need to take a look at this to be able to tell why this is happening. Have not been able to replicate your problem on a default site.

If the zipped snapshot and pdf files are not more than 10 MB then you can email them to me at bksupport at actinic.co.uk

Kind regards,
          Bruce King
          SellerDeck

Comment

The link you needed, to download our details

Hi Bruce,
            on behalf of the team (Matthew Rider and myself) I have belatedly emailed you with a link that when used will get you the ZIP file you wanted.
            Sorry for delay - due to ZIP and other uncertainties at this end.
            Iain Smith

Comment

Have downloaded the file and am checking this.

Kind regards,
              Bruce King
              SellerDeck

Comment

Matthew & Iain,

I have passed this to development to have a look at. I get exactly the same error with your snapshot.

Kind regards,
                Bruce King
                SellerDeck

Comment

Have finally got to the bottom of this one. The issue is with the refrence numbers in the second section.

If you unhide 'Spotlight Papers' to recreate the problem, and look at the first product - 'Managing performance at work: 10 learning points for IT teams'. If you attach a pdf, and upload it will not upload and get the error message:

Now if you look at the reference number you will see: 4007/1

It is the '/' that's causing the problem, if you change it to '-' then it will work fine.

The reason is because the digital download filename will include the reference number, and having a '/' in a filename will not work.

Kind regards,
                  Bruce King
                  SellerDeck

Comment

Fixed - THANKS!

Hi Bruce,

thanks very much indeed for the hard work you have put in on this - we've run it all through and it works a treat now.
                    Very much obliged and of course kicking ourselves for not thinking of that - maybe the fact that for non-downloadable products a products reference with an "/" works OK put us off the track.
                    Also impressed by you working on it on Saturday - hope they are paying you generously(!).

Iain & Matthew

Comment

Working...
                    X