Running 2 sites/stores from one PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running 2 sites/stores from one PC

I am using Business and wondered is it possible instead of using a new license key for a second seperate site, could I not just remove the folder called 'Site 1' from its location, create a new folder called 'Site 1' and switch the two about as I swap from site to site?

Or is this circumventing the billing or licensing process?

My two sites are gonna be exactly the same except for the domain name and it seems a lot of money for a mirror site with the exact same products!!

Or is this circumventing the billing or licensing process
    Yes it is.

Comment

The sites are licensed per domain. You will probably find that one of your mirror sites would probably not get listed in Google anyway after a short while due to the duplicated content.

Comment

I thought that this would be 'cheating the system' somehow.

I'll just get one sight re-directing to the other in that case, my main reason was I wanted to phase out the new store and bring in the new one but wanted to run them parallel for a bit till customers saw the new site.

Comment

The license is matched to the URL on the Actinic servers and is checked during upload

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Oooh er you've got me worried now.

I've been building and uploading our Actinic Website using a spare domain name that we have but will want to switch it to our current url when it's all finished.

The 'Test Site' is running on a different host to our proper site and as mentioned using a different URL.

Is this going to cause a problem when we come to swap urls?

Comment

Is this going to cause a problem when we come to swap urls?
              I would remove the test site ASP, if it is indexed by google then you could have major problems for many months. google will see it as duplicate content and remove the pages of the new site when it is uploaded - google will keep the content of the older site and remove the newer pages as SPAM.

Comment

Oh b**ger ! Thanks for the warning ! LOL

Comment

Couldn't a robot.txt page be used to tell Googlebot not to index the site, or put up a 'default.html' page that comes up rather than the 'index.html' which does not link to the test site? That way Google doesn't have to know the site exists until the move is complete?

Comment

You can do lots of things as you suggest but it is far better to use the inbuilt test mode in Actinic.

Comment

its really personal preference where you set you test site up.

The important thing is to hide it from robots until you are ready

Comment

Working...
                      X