Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Fast Preview - Very Slow Have To Use Manual

Hi All,

Before I receive a wrath of replies relating to the fact that other threads have covered this topic, can I just say I have read all those that I could find and I have undertaken all the tasks mentioned. However, I still have a problem each time I move around the site and catalogue with the refresh set to very fast - this takes almost 40 seconds each time. I have had to switch it to manual to make it productive.

I have undertaken the following:

Compact Databases
    Uninstall/Reinstall Actinic
    Install Actinic on another machine and restore snapshot

All of these produce the same results. I have run ODBC tracing and my logfile remains empty. This is causing me and my customers a big problem. Does anyone have any constructive suggestions on resolving this issue - I am losing hours at present with this!

Regards,

Alan.
    Kind Regards,

Alan Wyatt-Jones
    First4IT Solutions Limited

How many Products do you have Alan?

Sounds like our old favourite, Access mdb bottle necks

Once you get over a certain number of lines into your catalogue I am afraid Actinic becomes laboured due to the above. No amount of compacting etc will enable faster local viewing/working in this instance.

Regards
    Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
    Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

I too feel the wrath of 'billion product treacle'

blame microsoft, and their poor database implimentation.

Comment

IT doesn't sound like an access problem to me.

If switching refresh from very fast to manual makes it ok for you to move around the catalog then it is the redrawing of the page that is taking the time.

There might be something wrong with your design or you might just have very large pages, 40 seconds seems a long time though.

Do you get reasonable speeds when you switch refresh to manual?

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Before I receive a wrath of replies
          you will not get a wrath of replies if you do exactly as you have,

ie told us you've read other posts and told us the steps you have already taken.

We are then able to eliminate the obvious and concentrate on finding a solution to a nittier issue

Comment

IT doesn't sound like an access problem to me.
            actually, when you set the page to manual, databases are not accessed to put data into the page. the preview is never created. the data is not required.

this means that enabling the preview, causes actinic to request data from the database, pulling various pieces of information from various tables, within the database. this is very slow on 'squillion' product databases.

out of interest, how axactly does actinic access the database? Jet?

Comment

Actinic caches almost all of the product information locally ... also if this was happening I would have expected the ODBC trace log (from the first message) to have had some entries in it.

Regards,
              Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
              Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
              A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
              Product Mash for Sellerdeck
              Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
              Multichannel order processing
              Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
              X